Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cperry Quote
I already found it was in remote mode.
Hmmm, does K-30 have the option for 2 sec delay in remote drive mode?

08-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Hmmm, does K-30 have the option for 2 sec delay in remote drive mode?
That might be part of it - there is a 3 sec delay....changed that
08-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
It is still available on the K-30, only it is not the default.

If you are in full auto mode (green AUTO on the mode dial) and then go into the flash menu, the left-most flash symbol will have an 'A' (for automatic). So long as you leave the camera in the full auto (or some scene) mode, your flash selection will stick. And with this selection, the flash will automatically pop up in dim lighting without any action on the user's part.

However, if you use any other mode (including other scene modes), the 'A' version of the flash is not available and the selection moves to the semi-automatic position by default. The semi-automatic position works pretty much just like the 'A' position, however the user must specifically raise the flash if she/he wants to use it.

If you use the flash in one of these semi-automatic modes and return to the green AUTO mode, the flash will default to the semi-automatic mode and not the 'A' mode, even if this was the setting the last time you used the green AUTO mode.

And to me, this is the only shortcoming. If I had previously used the 'A' selection for the flash for an eligible exposure mode, I would prefer the camera remember that selection when I return to that mode. It is easy to hurriedly return to a fully automatic mode and expect it to work just like it did last time. Especially if I had only accidentally bumped the mode dial off AUTO with the flash up and then immediately turned it back. Hey purists! Don't look at me like that. There IS a time and place for fully automatic (turning my dSLR in to a glorified Point & Shoot). When your intent is only family snapshots to send to grandma & grandpa showing the grandchild's first finger painting or whatever, it works pretty darn well.

If you are in full auto mode (green AUTO on the mode dial) and then go into the flash menu, the left-most flash symbol will have an 'A' (for automatic). So long as you leave the camera in the full auto (or some scene) mode, your flash selection will stick. And with this selection, the flash will automatically pop up in dim lighting without any action on the user's part.

However, if you use any other mode (including other scene modes), the 'A' version of the flash is not available and the selection moves to the semi-automatic position by default. The semi-automatic position works pretty much just like the 'A' position, however the user must specifically raise the flash if she/he wants to use it.
Ok this part does not work for me. With my ist DS - in auto mode and with the auto flash selection - the flash pops up automatically. On this K30 - it does not, I re-followed your instructions just now and it still does not pop up unless I manually engage it. All in all not a big deal but curious why it will not do this.
08-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Are you sure you dont have a menu option enabled? One prevents shutter from going on until focus is locked, for example. In low light, AF can take some time.
Also, are you using live view? Live view is typically slower, especially in low light
Yes - not using live view
Ok - Av does the delay in low light and shutter does not.....
I cannot find anything blocking or overriding in the custom menu yet...but there were a few tweaks I made so it is better.
I had not used my ist in a while so that may be part of it too - operates differently.so far k30 better features that the sony or old ist...I think

08-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok - Av does the delay in low light and shutter does not.....
Which makes sense if you think about it. In Av you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed to make a correct exposure. So if 'correct' requires a 2 second shutter speed it might be correct but it is not going to be a good picture. In Tv (or shutter) you set the amount of time the shutter is open, which might be say 1/50th second, so no 'delay' but the camera is going to set the aperture, and possibly the ISO depending on settings, to make a correct exposure.

When I teach someone I always try to get them to understand the 'governing factor'. What aspect has to be right about the situation: aperture, shutter speed or ISO?
If you want to control the depth of focus then you need to be in Av mode.
If you want to stop action of moving subjects then you need to be in Tv mode (shutter)

But I'm still not 100% sure what the 'delay' is. We have discussed a number of things it might be. Can you post an example shot with the EXIF intact when you experienced this delay? That should help pin it down.
08-30-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok this part does not work for me. With my ist DS - in auto mode and with the auto flash selection - the flash pops up automatically. On this K30 - it does not, I re-followed your instructions just now and it still does not pop up unless I manually engage it. All in all not a big deal but curious why it will not do this.
The answer is simple. The camera decided the scene had enough light and flash was not needed. Part of this is the range you allow for auto-ISO. Set an auto-range of say 200-1600 and you will see it happen more often.

See page 66 in your K-30 manual for setting your flash, and page 85 for setting the allowable ISO range.

BIG hint to all.... you can download your manual in pdf format from Pentax. Do so and put it on your PC, or even better on your smartphone or tablet so it goes into the field with you. You can use the Find function in your pdf reader to do a lot of your page flipping for you.
08-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #22
Banned

If you use the flash in one of these semi-automatic modes and return to the green AUTO mode, the flash will default to the semi-automatic mode and not the 'A' mode, even if this was the setting the last time you used the green AUTO mode.

And to me, this is the only shortcoming. If I had previously used the 'A' selection for the flash for an eligible exposure mode, I would prefer the camera remember that selection when I return to that mode. It is easy to hurriedly return to a fully automatic mode and expect it to work just like it did last time. Especially if I had only accidentally bumped the mode dial off AUTO with the flash up and then immediately turned it back. Hey purists! Don't look at me like that. There IS a time and place for fully automatic (turning my dSLR in to a glorified Point & Shoot). When your intent is only family snapshots to send to grandma & grandpa showing the grandchild's first finger painting or whatever, it works pretty darn well.
You're mistaken. The method you describe only determines whether or not the flash will fire depending on the available light, it will not pop the flash up automatically. You still need to manually raise the flash, it will then only fire if needed. The removal of "auto pop up flash" is somewhat of a more advanced/pro feature, allowing the photographer to decide when to use flash. Personally, I have it turned off on my DL as it popped up at times when I didn't want/need it and I prefer to shoot available light as much as possible.
08-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
You're mistaken. The method you describe only determines whether or not the flash will fire depending on the available light, it will not pop the flash up automatically. You still need to manually raise the flash, it will then only fire if needed. The removal of "auto pop up flash" is somewhat of a more advanced/pro feature, allowing the photographer to decide when to use flash. Personally, I have it turned off on my DL as it popped up at times when I didn't want/need it and I prefer to shoot available light as much as possible.
I'll be DANGED if you aren't correct! I know I have had the flash on my K-30 closed and had it pop up seemingly of its own accord - but only when in the 'A' setting. I didn't think much of this because this is exactly how my previous K-r worked, whether I wanted it to or not.

However, I just cranked my ISO all the way down and stuck the lens into a very dim closet through a just cracked door. The flash did not automatically pop up. Now I'm baffled why it has done so on several appropriate occasions. I was pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near the flash release button to cause it to pop at just the right time. You may have wasted my entire weekend with this news because now I'll have to play to figure out what happened instead of being out shooting!

08-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #24
Banned

I'll be DANGED if you aren't correct! I know I have had the flash on my K-30 closed and had it pop up seemingly of its own accord - but only when in the 'A' setting. I didn't think much of this because this is exactly how my previous K-r worked, whether I wanted it to or not.

However, I just cranked my ISO all the way down and stuck the lens into a very dim closet through a just cracked door. The flash did not automatically pop up. Now I'm baffled why it has done so on several appropriate occasions. I was pretty sure I wasn't anywhere near the flash release button to cause it to pop at just the right time. You may have wasted my entire weekend with this news because now I'll have to play to figure out what happened instead of being out shooting!
Sorry 'bout that chief! I'm afraid I have more bad news as well Switching shooting modes does not take the flash mode off the "auto" setting. Although it's only available for the "Green" mode and most of the scene modes, once it's set, you can switch shooting modes and when you return to Green or Scene modes, the flash setting will still be on auto. I know nothing about the K-r, perhaps you're confusing your K-r with your K30??? In any case, fgetaboutit, go out and shoot!!
08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Sorry 'bout that chief! I'm afraid I have more bad news as well Switching shooting modes does not take the flash mode off the "auto" setting. Although it's only available for the "Green" mode and most of the scene modes, once it's set, you can switch shooting modes and when you return to Green or Scene modes, the flash setting will still be on auto. I know nothing about the K-r, perhaps you're confusing your K-r with your K30??? In any case, fgetaboutit, go out and shoot!!
Actually that one I am sure of (mode switching). On the K-30, put exposure dial to auto, raise flash, turn on camera, check flash mode and set to A, take picture. Turn exposure mode to P, check flash mode, should be in 'regular' mode - no A mode available, take picture. Return exposure mode to auto, check flash mode, it will not have returned to A mode, but will still be in 'regular' mode. You can turn the camera of now if you wish.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I am running the current firmware.
08-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #26
Banned

Actually that one I am sure of (mode switching). On the K-30, put exposure dial to auto, raise flash, turn on camera, check flash mode and set to A, take picture. Turn exposure mode to P, check flash mode, should be in 'regular' mode - no A mode available, take picture. Return exposure mode to auto, check flash mode, it will not have returned to A mode, but will still be in 'regular' mode. You can turn the camera of now if you wish.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I am running the current firmware.
You may have a bug in your K30. I'm running current version as well (1.04), yet my camera returns to auto flash mode no matter how I switch, popping pics between switches, flash down, camera off, doesn't matter, once it's set, it's set! You may want to ask other K30 owners you may know, but mine stays put.
08-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter

You may have a bug in your K30. I'm running current version as well (1.04), yet my camera returns to auto flash mode no matter how I switch, popping pics between switches, flash down, camera off, doesn't matter, once it's set, it's set! You may want to ask other K30 owners you may know, but mine stays put.
Your flash CAN'T stay in A mode if you switch out of AUTO to P, Tv, Sv, Av, etc. modes. Even the manual says the A flash type is not available for these modes. Check your manual, pages 66-67. My complaint isn't that A isn't available in other modes, it is that my camera won't return flash to the A mode when I switch back to the AUTO (green) exposure mode. It stays in the non-A mode that the camera switched to when I left the AUTO exposure mode. I don't believe this is a bug specific to my camera.

If you follow my steps exactly as listed in the above post, you should see the same behavior.
Attached Images

08-31-2013, 06:06 AM   #28
Banned

Your flash CAN'T stay in A mode if you switch out of AUTO to P, Tv, Sv, Av, etc. modes. Even the manual says the A flash type is not available for these modes. Check your manual, pages 66-67. My complaint isn't that A isn't available in other modes, it is that my camera won't return flash to the A mode when I switch back to the AUTO (green) exposure mode. It stays in the non-A mode that the camera switched to when I left the AUTO exposure mode. I don't believe this is a bug specific to my camera.

If you follow my steps exactly as listed in the above post, you should see the same behavior.
I didn't say it stays in "A" mode all the time, I know it's not available in all shooting modes or scene modes as well. I said it's still in "A" when I return to those modes where it IS available! In other words, MY K30 remembers the setting and DOES NOT reset the flash mode choice made in Auto (green) shooting mode just because I switched to another shooting mode, and I see nowhere in the manual where it says that flash mode choice will be lost / reset when switching shooting modes! Whatever I set it for in a particular shooting mode, it stays that way for that mode until I change it, regardless of how many other shooting modes I may use / switch to.

If your k30 loses that info, you may indeed have a bug or perhaps I have a more intelligent version of the K30!

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-31-2013 at 06:12 AM.
08-31-2013, 06:15 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Again, did you follow the sequence I gave, which includes using the flash in an alternate mode before switching back to AUTO?
08-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #30
Banned

Again, did you follow the sequence I gave, which includes using the flash in an alternate mode before switching back to AUTO?
Did you read post #26??? To be clear, YES, I also tried other methods as well. Doesn't matter what I do between mode switches, the flash mode retains it's setting for each particular shooting mode. I don't see why it would change, if you set up your user settings, those setting are remembered when you return to them from using other shooting modes, are they not? Why would setting the flash mode be any different?

UPDATE:
I've just found that if I access the flash menu in another mode, it does indeed reset the auto flash mode in the auto shooting mode. I'm guessing you have the rear info panel turned off? That would explain the different results we're getting. Mine is on, so when I switch modes, I merely look at the screen to see the flash setting, which remains where I set it. If it were off, I'd have to go into the flash setting menu to check the setting, doing this seems to reset the flash to "on" as opposed to leaving it in "auto". Like I said, I rarely use flash, so it doesn't matter to me, but if you use it regularly, and would prefer it stays in "auto" mode, I suggest you turn your rear info panel back on.

Last edited by Al_Kahollick; 08-31-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Update Results