Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #1

Problems with setting the f-values (Pentax X-5)

Hello!
My name is Diana, I'm from Colombia and just a week ago I bought a Pentax X-5. When I am in Manual mode, there is no way I can set a fine tune of the f-value, it just jumps from two extreme values, for example, 3.1 to 9.7 or 4 to 12. If I change the mode, the numbers automatically set to different values, (especially when I use the long zoom) then I go back to M mode and it jumps from a lower to a higher value. Just those extreme numbers, from 4 to 12, 6 to 15 or 18!. I am taking photography lessons and it is somehow frustrating for me that I haven't been able to experiment with the aperture values and actually see the effects on the pictures. This doesn't occur with the shutter speed though.
Is this a feature of this pentax? Is this related to the ND filter in the camera?
I would really appreciate if you answer my questions so I can use the warranty policy or just try to adjust myself to the camera.
Thank you so much!

08-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In M mode, you use the scroll wheels on the camera to adjust the aperture. At the wide end, the available F stop numbers will be much smaller than when zoomed in. In other words, most light is able to pass through the lens when zoomed out than when zoomed all the way in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In M mode, you use the scroll wheels on the camera to adjust the aperture. At the wide end, the available F stop numbers will be much smaller than when zoomed in. In other words, most light is able to pass through the lens when zoomed out than when zoomed all the way in.
Thank you Adam for your reply.
I scroll the wheel to change the f value as shown in the operating manual, the issue is that there are only two values available. Right now they are 3.1 to 9.7. I scroll very carefully, just one "click" and there's no fine tuning. I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly. If I want a determined f value I just can't set it. With the shutter speed there's no problem at all.
08-30-2013, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Sounds like a problem that might require warranty service, or a return to where you bought it. The Av settings should scroll smoothly, just like you say the shutter speeds do.

As far as I know, the X-5 does not have a built-in ND filter.

08-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Tanzer

Thank you for you reply Tanzer.
I'm not an expert, but I read in the operating manual (Specifications) this: Aperture type: ND filter.
So far, I haven't found someone else with the same issue so I guess you can be right and I might require warranty service.
08-30-2013, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #6

no se el caso especifico de la x-5 pero artas camaras compactas solo te tiene dos seteos para la apertura (una opcion full abierto y una cerrado) y cambia el valor dependiendo la distancia focal (el zoom) que tengas puesto, a mas zoom mas grande el numero f, osea menor apertura, osea menos luz.
08-30-2013, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Didi Cannucci Quote
Thank you for you reply Tanzer.
I'm not an expert, but I read in the operating manual (Specifications) this: Aperture type: ND filter.
So far, I haven't found someone else with the same issue so I guess you can be right and I might require warranty service.
I should rescind my earlier comment. You may be right about the X-5 having some sort of ND filter, based on a recent comment another member which was posted here:
Pentax X-5 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I'm used to using the X90, which definitely does not have an ND filter, and whose manual controls for aperture and shutter speed are actually quite good, and behave as expected. But I should not assert that the X-5 works in a similar fashion.

So anyhow, I am not sure if what you are experiencing is normal or not. Good luck!
08-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

This is quite normal. As already said, the X-5 (along with many lower-priced cameras) uses an ND filter instead of actual aperture blades.

08-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
This is quite normal. As already said, the X-5 (along with many lower-priced cameras) uses an ND filter instead of actual aperture blades.
Hi Giklab, so you're saying it is normal I can't set a F-value in the M mode but this camera has only 2 f-stops....so, no need to require warranty service? There is definitively no aperture control?
Thank you for your reply.
08-31-2013, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Didi Cannucci Quote
Hi Giklab, so you're saying it is normal I can't set a F-value in the M mode but this camera has only 2 f-stops....so, no need to require warranty service? There is definitively no aperture control?
Thank you for your reply.
Yes it's normal. You can only use the lens wide open, and use the ND "aperture" when you would usually stop down. Happy shooting.
09-01-2013, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yes it's normal. You can only use the lens wide open, and use the ND "aperture" when you would usually stop down. Happy shooting.
Thank you!