Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

100-500mm Super Cosina lense and a 2X KAX Macro Teleplus MC7

Hi, I have a super Cosina 100-500 lense and a 2X KAX Macro Teleplus MC7, just recently bought a Pentax K200d, can I use either of these items on my camera, if so what do I settings on the camera or do I need to purchase ones that are compatable for the camera,

08-31-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cosina has made lenses for several mounts I believe so the only answer without pictures or a complete description is `maybe`.
Post some pictures of the lens including the mount and any identifying markings.
09-01-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

If you have used your lens + TC on an earlier (film) SLR, they will work on your K200D too. Below is a picture of what a vintage Cosina lens with Pentax K-mount would typically look like.

Note, that contrary to Pentax, Cosina used to black-anodize their mounts. In order for such lenses to work the same way as genuine Pentax-K and -M lenses on a modern DSLR, you will have to sand away some of the black layer, where the mount meets the elctrical contacts on your camera body as seen in the picture.

Did you get the manual for the K200D? Otherwise you should download it from here

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

to read more about how to use manual lenses on your K200D.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
the Cosina lens is the k- mount fitting and the contacts looks the same as in the photo, it fits on the camera ok but when I push the shutter button down it doesn't click of, I've only had the camera a week or two so guess I need to study the manual more to find out how to make it work and maybe do what you suggested by sanding a little away of it, it also seems to focus a lot clearer on the k200d than on the MZ5

09-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oldenFJ Quote
the Cosina lens is the k- mount fitting and the contacts looks the same as in the photo, it fits on the camera ok but when I push the shutter button down it doesn't click of, I've only had the camera a week or two so guess I need to study the manual more to find out how to make it work and maybe do what you suggested by sanding a little away of it, it also seems to focus a lot clearer on the k200d than on the MZ5
Observe these three things first of all:

1. Set "Aperture Ring Permitted" in the Custom Menu of your K200D - otherwise the camera will not fire.

2. Unless you sand the black layer away, you can only use manual focus. So your AF/MF switch must be in the M-position. Once you have sanded the mount, you may set the switch in the AF position and set the AF-mode to AF.S in the camera Record Mode. That way you can have catch-in-focus (if your lens is sharp enough and the light is good enough).

3. With these old lenses you must set the shooting mode to M(anual) on the program wheel on your camera.

You should also study these guidelines:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

Happy shooting - and do share some photos with us once, you have your system working!
09-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks so much for your help, went out 6am this morning with a swiss girl staying with us to New Brighton beach to catch the sun rise, she got some good shots but my camera died due to flat batteries my fault for not having a spare set with me