Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K5II preview monitor has dead Pixel & moisture in viewfinder and LCD screen

Has anyone really test the water resistant on K5II? Also does anyone has a dead pixel on their preview monitor (see photo attached).

Here is my story, I just came back from a camping and it was damp and rainy, of course I have my brand new water resistant/dust proof/moisture proof camera with me to take some photos to see if it hold the billing as mentioned. Lord and behold 2 days into the camp taking some photos in the field, my viewfinder fogged up inside and also inside the LCD screen but fortunately it went away in the few hours in the dry compound of my tent. While I am inspecting the camera and my photos I have noticed that the preview monitor has 4 vertical lines on the left side. I believe these are dead pixels but the photos are fine.

Also notice that the preview monitor glass coating is wearing out and to compare with the used K20 I bought for my daughter looks brand new not a scratch (how old is K20 now???)

I bought this camera back in June 25, 2013 from directly from Pentax and shipped to me within 10 days, I am not having any luck with Pentax. My Kx earlier went wonky on me and need to be replace with this one. Now this!!! 2 freaking months…..

Fortunately is still under Warranty and hope they will replace this.

Attached Images

09-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

What lens?
09-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
What lens?
18-135 wr
09-01-2013, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

If you had sever temp changes i guess there could have been internal condensation. But I doubt it.
Those are not dead pixels, Water got in to your camera somehow.

09-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
If you had sever temp changes i guess there could have been internal condensation. But I doubt it.
Those are not dead pixels, Water got in to your camera somehow.
Not much temp change, and it was not a downpour either. That's what I figure water or moisture going in. Going to talk to Pentax on Tuesday.
09-01-2013, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had a friend who got into same problems with his K-30 + 18-135 WR. Seems to me like a moisture/condensation prob from the vacuum action of the lens, if this is the case.

Never happened to my IIs+DA* yet... one time it fogged up real bad as I walked out of the really cold air-conditioned room into the mid-morning beachside, but it cleared up half an hour later with no problems. Hope Pentax replaces your unit, or probably just that part.
09-01-2013, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amante Quote
Has anyone really test the water resistant on K5II? Also does anyone has a dead pixel on their preview monitor (see photo attached).

Here is my story, I just came back from a camping and it was damp and rainy, of course I have my brand new water resistant/dust proof/moisture proof camera with me to take some photos to see if it hold the billing as mentioned. Lord and behold 2 days into the camp taking some photos in the field, my viewfinder fogged up inside and also inside the LCD screen but fortunately it went away in the few hours in the dry compound of my tent. While I am inspecting the camera and my photos I have noticed that the preview monitor has 4 vertical lines on the left side. I believe these are dead pixels but the photos are fine.

Also notice that the preview monitor glass coating is wearing out and to compare with the used K20 I bought for my daughter looks brand new not a scratch (how old is K20 now???)

I bought this camera back in June 25, 2013 from directly from Pentax and shipped to me within 10 days, I am not having any luck with Pentax. My Kx earlier went wonky on me and need to be replace with this one. Now this!!! 2 freaking months…..

Fortunately is still under Warranty and hope they will replace this.
Warranty should cover this for sure. Definitely bad luck!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Warranty should cover this for sure. Definitely bad luck!
Just spoke to them, I have to send it to get it repair at to repair centre on Ontario from Vancouver and it will take 2 weeks at most. What a hassle! I tried to get them to send me a replacement and they said no, its not their policy. I don't know how they can replace the monitor, its sealed around the chassis. Anyhow they will look into it to see where the leak is coming from.
09-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Had a friend who got into same problems with his K-30 + 18-135 WR. Seems to me like a moisture/condensation prob from the vacuum action of the lens, if this is the case.

Never happened to my IIs+DA* yet... one time it fogged up real bad as I walked out of the really cold air-conditioned room into the mid-morning beachside, but it cleared up half an hour later with no problems. Hope Pentax replaces your unit, or probably just that part.
I have been reading though the forum, its seems like its a common problem for all cameras. WR or not, what really tick me off is its billing to be a WR, dust proof and moisture resistance. And its false hope for many of us. When I get this repaired when I get from my holiday, I will be more cautious than ever.

Last edited by Amante; 09-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.
09-03-2013, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

I dont know....I dropped my K-5 IIs in a trout stream 2 times as I slipped on rocks.

Never had an issue.

I'm thinking yours was made on a monday after the big company picnic........
09-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I dont know....I dropped my K-5 IIs in a trout stream 2 times as I slipped on rocks.

Never had an issue.

I'm thinking yours was made on a monday after the big company picnic........
LOL…. Well Cebu (camera made from) are always having picnic, its such nice place to be at. Hopefully when it comes back it will be sealed shut. I had it in the rain at leased 3x, I guess 3rd time bad luck?
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the 18-135 WR pumps air in and out when it is in active use. Unlike internal zooming lenses, it has to pump air in order for the lens to zoom in and out. If it was totally vacuum sealed onto the camera body, it wouldn't be able to work. Hence it is WR, but not totally sealed.

Along with that air pumping, however modest the action may be, will come extra humidity and moisture, which may very well condense inside the camera and the lens and cause the electical and other problems you describe.

Drying the camera thoroughly internally before powering it back up again would [ideally and theoretically] avoid some of the electrical problems you are describing. Maybe squirting a dose of WD40 into the camera would also do the trick ... [just joking ].
09-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Unfortunately the 18-135 WR pumps air in and out when it is in active use. Unlike internal zooming lenses, it has to pump air in order for the lens to zoom in and out. If it was totally vacuum sealed onto the camera body, it wouldn't be able to work. Hence it is WR, but not totally sealed.

Along with that air pumping, however modest the action may be, will come extra humidity and moisture, which may very well condense inside the camera and the lens and cause the electical and other problems you describe.

Drying the camera thoroughly internally before powering it back up again would [ideally and theoretically] avoid some of the electrical problems you are describing. Maybe squirting a dose of WD40 into the camera would also do the trick ... [just joking ].
WD40 - I read in this forum someone did use it. As I recall his a camera repair tech. Will look it up again later Yeah figure WR not waterproof…Thanks
09-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Well, WR does mean water resistant, not water proof.
09-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At high temperatures the air usually contains a lot of water and when it cools down again the water deposits on neighboring surfaces - it's the dew or fog you see in the morning.

So, when you are changing a lens at high surrounding temperatures, or pumping the air in via your lens, the moist air enters the camera body and when the camera cools down at a later moment the water condenses on its inner parts where it can cause havoc in the electronics.

As far as I know Pentax doesn't specify the maximum allowed relative humidity for the inside of their camera's, but it's certainly not 100%, when you get condensation. They are only giving a warning in the user manuals, in the Precautions section.

So, this effect has nothing to do with WR, it's a law of nature.