Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
OOO NO not another Wide Angle Thread!! lol

So yea here I am starting a wide angle thread knowing that there is a lot of them on there. I have in fact read them and while I gained a lot of good information, im still having trouble picking a lens. I have been looking at the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 2.8 for a while now. The big selling point for me on these lens is the 2.8 throughout the range of the zoom. I currently dont own a nifty 50 (or thrifty 50 depending on who you are), I shoot a lot of fashion and glamour with my 85mm so I have no need really for a 50 except for walking around. I do shoot a lot of fashion events and other random events. I am also a big light painter and love my manual 28mm wide for those images.

I am hesitant on the other wide angle lens where the F/ adjusts from 2.___ to around 4 during the zoom. Since i shoot a lot of events that vary in lighting, I think I would end up swapping lens more often than I would like. I have been renting the Pentax Wide Angle from Borrow lens and love shooting wide in some of my fashion shoots but want to ensure that the lens that I purchase is versatile (as much as it can be). I know that Sigma just released some new Wide Angle lens, from what I can see they list 2.8 but nowhere does it say that the 2.8 is throuout the entire zoom, so I am hesitant to just assume it does. Am I missing any lens here or have I pretty much narrowed it down for myself?

Last question. I saw the new flash that pentax is releasing. I was comparing the specs, and the cheaper flash has a quicker recycle time than the more expensive flash, what difference am I missing? Anyone got a nice flash they could sell to a Marine? lol

Thanks a lot in advance for all the help I know you all with give me!

09-01-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm no strobist, but isn't recycle quoted at full power... the 360 has less power than the 540... If you reduced the power of the 540 to shoot at the same power as the 360 I suspect the recycle would improve.
09-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The Pentax lens that would fit be the closest competitor to the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is the Pentax DA* 16-50 f/2.8. It's the only one that is weather resistant of the three, and it has an extra 1mm on the wide end. That being said I went with the Tamron myself. Of course if you REALLY want wide and don't mind a slower lens there is the Pentax 12-24 (PITA to get), Pentax 10-17 fisheye, Tamron 10-24 (great lens BTW), 2 versions of the Sigma 10-20, and then, if you REALLY want wide the Sigma 8-16 (great lens).
09-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently bought a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
My first found is that it's output is about 1/3 to 1/2 darker than what the numbers says! i.e. it transfers less light than my DFA 50mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 and even at f/8.
It's still OK for me, because of it's price and I don't mind that, but for you!?

09-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And to be honest, I noticed that 1mm wider right at first time I used it in field! (My widest lens before it, was my DA18-135)
09-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The Pentax lens that would fit be the closest competitor to the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 or the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is the Pentax DA* 16-50 f/2.8. It's the only one that is weather resistant of the three, and it has an extra 1mm on the wide end. That being said I went with the Tamron myself. Of course if you REALLY want wide and don't mind a slower lens there is the Pentax 12-24 (PITA to get), Pentax 10-17 fisheye, Tamron 10-24 (great lens BTW), 2 versions of the Sigma 10-20, and then, if you REALLY want wide the Sigma 8-16 (great lens).
I read a review on here of the 3 17-50 and I believe that pentax came in last. The smaller focal length lens would be nice but I don't think I would use them as often and I would be swaping lens more often.
09-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

If I were in the market for a zoom of this type, I'd probably go for the Tamron. Noisy screwdrive focus, but quick and with good image quality. And the smallest of the three, I believe, if that is of importance.