Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instructions for BG4 Battery Grip

Where can I get instructions for the D-BG4 battery grip?
I haven't found any on the Pentax support web page.

09-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They should have been included with the grip. All you need to do is attach the grip to your camera and it should start working. The controls on the grip won't respond unless you set its power switch to "on".

Also, if you choose to put a rechargeable battery in your grip as I do, be careful, as it's very easy to insert it the wrong way, leading to inadvertent use of the body's battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gripping?

Hello Ed,
Adam's right, there's only a couple of things to do, when adding a grip. If you hold the grip and camera next to each other, you'll see where the electronic pins line up for inserting into the body. Covering this space (on the body) is a rubber gasket. Carefully pull this piece out (don't loose it!) and put it into the space provided on the grip, there's a small depression that fits exactly, for safe-keeping.
Now, line the grip up with the bottom of the body, there's a couple of alignment 'keys', the pin location and the tripod mounting screw. Gently move the grip into position and you'll feel the pins line up. Now you can turn the thumb wheel that tightens the grip into the tripod screw hole. Don't force the grip into place, slowly wiggle it into position.
That's it! The extra battery is the same, uses the same charger. Just make sure the 3 copper-colored pins are facing the correct way in the tray, they go in 'forward' or first, same way as inserting the main battery into the camera.
I leave the grip power turned off unless I want to shoot verticals, then just turn it on for the shots, then off again.
If you're still unsure or have more questions, reply here and we'll try to help. I can post photos if you need them.
Ron
09-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
D-BG4 operating instructions

After searching in Bing with 'pentax D-BG4 operating instructions' I found the following link to a PDF:
http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/815/815DBG4.PDF
This is an exact copy op the original paper manual.

09-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank's Adam and Ron,
I purchased it secondhand and it had no instructions I am now selling it after only a couple of weeks as for me it makes it to hard to hold the camera.
I have nerve damage in my right hand and it took a few days using the grip to show up.
I simply wanted to sell it with instructions thanks again for your help.

Kobayashi.K,
Thank you for the PDF I have just run off my 11 page instruction manual to add to the packaging when I sell it.
12-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #6

Hi! I'm looking for service manual of d-bg4 grip or any information on how to get inside the grip. I unscrewed all visible screws and I can not separate the housing halves.
05-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Found the link here (on May 3, 2018) for a PDF version to download. Click the "Owners Manual" link at bottom of page.

Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for select Pentax digital SLRs at Crutchfield.com

05-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Ed,
Carefully pull this piece out (don't loose it!) and put it into the space provided on the grip, there's a small depression that fits exactly, for safe-keeping.
Thanks Ron! I've stored the little rubber plug in my camera bag. This is a much better solution! (Clearly I did not read the manual)