Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Problem with Vivitar 90mm Macro Lens

Aperture is stuck wide open in my K20D and K5 ????

When the lens is removed the aperture works fine , the aperture worked in my K200D ( unfortunately the K200D died )

So , the issue to me is the aperture lever , for some reason it must be pushed or locked to one side and there for forcing the aperture wide open .. ( my best guess )

So if I cut the aperture lever off ? or maybe trim it ?

09-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should stay wide open until you take the shot, assuming you've set a lower aperture using the aperture ring.

Be sure to follow these instructions to meter properly:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmmm , perhaps I need to explain more clearly !

First Im no Noob ...

Second :

Camera was in manual mode .. 100% manual
How do I know aperture is locked open ?
Thats an easy one , first , just looking through the view finder and changing to a higher ( highest ) f stop does no result in less light ..
Next . By not twisting in the lens all the way , aperture works just fine ...
+ My other manual focus lenses have no issue and work just fine ...
and lastly shinning in a flashlight I can see aperture stuck wide open ..

Now , im rather sure aperture is stuck wide open , and I think its the aperture lever thats responsible ..

Anyone ?
09-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you using the green button in metering? as Adam says it should stay wide open until you take the shot. Other than that, you have to wait for someone who had an experience for this particular problem. All the best.

09-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Vivitar 90mm f2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database This lens , there is no A setting ...
09-01-2013, 11:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

As has been repeated twice, if the lens is mounted and you turn the aperture ring, NOTHING is supposed to happen -- it is SUPPOSED to stay wide open. So what you are describing as a problem is normal behavior. Not until the shutter is fired does it close, only for a split-second to take the shot.
09-02-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK , I see ...

I just tested it in my istDs and it worked just as described .. I will retest on the K20D ..
09-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Me, Too!

Hello Old 4570,
I had the exact same problem with my Viv Series 1 90mm f/2.5. Wouldn't stop down with the green button, every shot was wide-open no matter what I did. Took it to a camera/lens repair shop here (Denver Pro Photo) and it turns out this is fairly common with older Vivitars. There's a tiny ball bearing in a race right behind the back mounting plate, it gets out of alignment and doesn't allow the lever to move for the exposure. Repair cost? $50.00 and it works fine now.
It never gave me any problem before, no warning, just stopped working properly. The tech said he's seen and repaired it many times. Got it back in a couple of days and now I'm reunited with my Bokina!
Ron

09-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok my bad - Spent to much time with M42 lenses and Macro tubes ...

Stands corrected !

Thank you .. ( the way its supposed to work = Aperture )

But its strange , I could not change the F stop before ... Now after changing the lens between several bodies , its working .. I have aperture control ...

I will try the lens again tomorrow ..

( rbefly ) Thanks , that might explain things , the lens has sat around for several months doing nothing ..
I was a little frustrated stuck @ f2.5 .. Especially as the aperture ring was working out of the body .. I have found a work around , the good old macro tubes
Today was a nice day ( for a change ) so became a lens testing day ..
For a while there I thought I might need a new lens ..

Thanks everyone ...

Last edited by old4570; 09-02-2013 at 12:59 AM.
09-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

What the lens refused to do earlier today ...

But now appears to be working ..
09-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

good to know and glad to see that it is resolved. enjoy shooting
09-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster

This is where I was stuck today - @ f2.5 , the depth of focus is so small @ macro , its an interesting photo , but not sharp , well , both front and back are out of focus

I will retest tomorrow , and hopefully it will work ok ...
09-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Pentaxian

So are you saying it only works with an extension tube? Are they "auto" extension tubes with a lever in them? If no lever than perhaps there is a problem with the lens.

Non-"A" k-mount lenses use stop down metering. Camera settings should be Use Aperture ring - enabled, Green button in TAv and M - Tv shift, DOF preview to optical.

Thus in manual mode you can set the aperture using the ring on the lens - aperture will remain wide open until you press the green button or the check DOF from the lever around the shutter button. With the green button the aperture will close down to the setting on the ring, the camera will measure the light and set the shutter speed. Activating the DOF preview will again close the aperture down to the setting on the ring and the meter bars will become active in the viewfinder. You can then set the exposure by changing the shutter speed from the eDial or f-stop on the aperture ring.

The procedure is practically the same with M42 lenses however the diaphragm will not stay wide open unless the lens has and auto/manual switch on it. In which case you have to set the switch to manual in order to stop the lens down for metering and taking the exposure.

See also
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/190190-metering...review-k5.html
09-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had no Aperture adjustment , it was stuck wide open when fitted to my K20D ....
I then tried it in a istDs and it was still stuck ...

I then fitted a pentax macro tube with a aperture lever ..
Then I tried a cheap Chinese macro tube which has no aperture lever .. ( now I had control over the aperture )

After that I poped the lens on my K5 ,,, ( still not working )
Then onto my istD ... Once on the istD it seemed to work ...
So I put it back on the K20D and the aperture was working ....

???????? Now I just wait on the morrow to see if all is ok ...

I had on a Sigma 50mm 1:1 Macro lens ( Manual with A setting ) and that worked fine ...
Usually I run Macro Tubes ( Cheap ) and F stop is set manually , on my istDs ..

I dont know what happen , all my cameras are set up to accept manual aperture setting ...

Last edited by old4570; 09-02-2013 at 07:27 AM.
09-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It sounds like the auto aperture is sticking and the lens could benefit from a CLA. Are the aperture blades oily?