Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Family Gathering, Berlin, Lots of nice pics taken...oops!

... but I definitely feel I blew the family photo I was asked to take...

1/180|f8|3200

I got a little tunnel vision with setting Aperture in manual mode and to my disappointment this happened...
it's been lightened only with Picasa...
I'm not taking it soo hard but I am...
Coincidentally since weeks I wanted to announce that I've been using Manual exclusively, was using TAv for months before...
anyway, I am both humbled and thankful for support and tips on how to best refine this mess of a pic...
On the other hand I took some real gems that I would like to share as well but want to start with the bad news.

09-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
G.T
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hope you have a raw file for that pic. It's easier to tamper than JPEGs...
At first, I would not be afraid of pushing the exposure value in your software (I use Lightroom 3, but other RAW processing softwares could do the same).
Then perhaps I'd play on tone curves.

Hope this helps.
09-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

How do you feel that you blew this photo? Doesn't look too bad to me.
09-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
ISO is waay to high.. therefore I missed an ideal pic. I'm being a pixel peeper, I know.
I believe 1/90, f6.7 would have been much better, ISO no more than 800 would have been ideal...
My father in law took pics with his canon 6000 something so I'll compare for fun.

09-03-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well I think it looks fine!

I haven't mastered off-camera flash, so I often use high ISO for indoor shots at my own family gatherings, as the results (for me) are more predictable. When there are a lot of people in the scene, I rationalize that it's harder to see the ISO noise. Plus everyone's skin isn't always perfect anyhow.

If I may offer comment, I think a bigger problem in this shot is that some of the folks are looking towards the right side of the frame. I'll bet there was another camera to your right? I've found that getting everyone to look at ONE camera is the biggest challenge in a group shot like this. Just one person looking in the wrong direction can really screw up an otherwise good shot. It's almost as bad as having someone's eyes closed. Sometimes, when I see folks lining up to take a small group shot in front of another person (usually a compact or cellphone camera), I will snap off a couple candid shots, but I intentionally stay far back and a little bit off to one side, and use my zoom on a telephoto setting so that I won't distract the subjects, and at least they will be looking in one direction.
09-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G.T Quote
I hope you have a raw file for that pic.
Ditto.

Post the RAW file somewhere. It would be fun to see what could be done with it.
As it is it is still decent.
09-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Iksobarg - Been there, done that, and still do from time to time. I donít think itís as bad as you think. It may not be a mural quality image but the important thing is you were able to snap the family picture you were asked to take. When will be the next time these folks find themselves standing next to each other posing for a picture?
09-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi guys,
K57XR, you're so right. The family gets together once a year.

Wildman, the RAW file is ~18mb,,, i know it won't go on imgur or flikr , you know where ?
I'd love to see what you could do with it...
Oughta inspire me to get a better pp software...

09-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Put it up on mediafire.com and then give people the link to download it.
09-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
here we go:
k30 654.DNG
I'm currently sharing a cropped jpg of this pic with family and friends on flikr
but would gladly replace it with an improvement
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only real problem I see with this image is that you cut off some of the subject's feet. The high ISO doesn't hurt at all here, at least not to my eyes.
09-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some subtle noise reduction, masked shaprness and selective exposure bump using graduated filter and brush in LR4.

09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Perhaps a bit better but not a lot...

Last edited by wildman; 09-30-2013 at 04:13 AM.
09-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks so mucho, mucho guys!!
I don't have time to compare them as I have to run right now.

A cutie of a server-girl took the pic. You guys should see her ;P

I will followup soon as I am off from work tomorrow.