Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
Forum Member

I have a brand new K500 (basically the same as the K30) that came with some extras including a SONY SDHC UHS-I 32gb card. Everything was brand new and sealed up.
This SD card DID NOT WORK in the K500. All I got was a "Memory Card Error". I could not even format it in the camera since it would not let me get past the error screen.

I also have a Pentax K-m (K-2000) and the SONY card works perfectly in it, so I used the K-m to format the card and tried it again in the K500. Same error message.
I contacted the dealer that I bought the stuff from and they sent me another card. Same exact type card, same problem in the K500, works fine in the K-m.

Luckily I had 3 or 4 other brand 32gb SDHC cards that work just fine in the K500.

I was NOT asked to send the "bad" cards back to the dealer so I got 2 freebie 32gb cards that I use in my GoPro Hero 2 & 3. They work fine.

I called Pentax, told them my sad tale and they were 100% clueless. They refused to admit there was anything wrong with the camera since all my other various SD cards work fine. They blamed it on the cards. They had no explanation why they would work in the K-m, but not in the K500.

Everything is good though, and I got 2 free 32gb SDHC cards.

12-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter

One more proof that the Forum works even if the camera doesnt. Was about to tear my hair out (tough to do with a flat-top over 2 SONY SDHC UHS-I 32gb cards when I decided to check here to see if any other K-30 owners had the same problem. I see that my idea that the software upgrade to 105 also won't work. Well, time to backup and punt.
12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pavanbabut Quote
Looks like this is a known problem and wonder why Pentax hasn't looked into this issue yet. Due to increased popularity of smart phones and tablets with microSD, people are buying more of these cards today and generally they would end up using one of those in their cameras.
Come on wake up Pentax...
It's more likely the micro SD adapter.

QuoteOriginally posted by w6wat Quote
I just purchased 2 Samsung 32GB Class 10 SDHC UHS1 memory cards. Neither of my two K30 bodies will accept them. I get the Memory Card issue in both. I tried the memory in my Kx body, and it read the card fine. I was also able to format the card in the Kx. I tried putting it into a K30 after the Kx had formatted it, but go the same error message.

Both my K30 bodes have updated firmware to Version 1.05.

By the way, the Samsung cards work fine in the computer, and again, in the Kx. I didn't try them in my K100D bodies.

Apparently there is something going on with the K30 software/firmware.
I use SanDisk 16GB SDHC Memory Card Extreme Class 10 UHS-I in my K-30 with no problems in any firmware. Apparently the specs for these card formats are somewhat loose, loose in the reader/writer and/or loose in the card manufacturer.
12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got 2 new 16 go lexar cards in the mail. Did an in camera format then snapped a couple. Worked fine. Turned the camera back in later and got the memory card error. Formatted 2 more times in camera and it's been working fine ever since.