Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1

K-30 and UHS1 card "Memory Card Error"

Hello All,

I got my first Pentax DSLR after being a long user of Nikon DSLRs. The image quality is excellent compared to my Canon EOS and D5100. GBToday I bought a Samsung 16GB Class 10 microSDHC card with SD adapter with UHS1 rating. I started using it by inserting it into my K-30 and there is no usual red light (memory access) blinking and when I turn on the camera it says "Memory card error". Then I plugged it into my Windows 8 and it worked flawlessly. My other card which is Class 10 rated, but not UHS1 works fine.

Wondering if there is any limitation in K-30 that it wont read UHS1 cards. The thought the new firmware release has taken care of this issue or is it not? I really like to use my new Samsung card than the present Patriot brand card. Any workarounds for this issue?

thanks

09-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-30 should be able to read UHS-I cards without any issues, it just can't take advantage of the extra speed. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you're using a microSDHC card?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got a Transcend 32gb UHS-I micro sd and it will not work with my K-01 but works perfectly in my K5 IIs. My theory is that it's the PRIME M engine that the K30 and K-01 share.
09-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #4

I can confirm that the same Samsung card type did not work with my K-30 as well.

Sold it to a friend who owns a Nikon, works without problems for him...

09-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have problems with the UHS-I cards in my K-01 which it is listed as being compatible. I am using Lexar professional cards. They work fine in the K-5 and the K30. Also I am I am using one in a POV.HD video and that works fine. Maybe we need a firmware tweak. Dreaming again, too older model.
09-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was a participant in a thread a couple of months back discussing SD cards and micro SD cards. Micro SD cards just don't work reliably with adapters in cameras. Some images would write ok, other images would write an empty 0Kb file. I gave up after three cards, and went to an EyeFi wireless card to achieve what I wanted, which was to transfer photos to an Android phone and or tablet. Problem solved. For complete disclosure, I was using my K-x. As one poster noted, the age of the camera may have something to do with micro SD compatability.
09-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Original Poster
Looks like this is a known problem and wonder why Pentax hasn't looked into this issue yet. Due to increased popularity of smart phones and tablets with microSD, people are buying more of these cards today and generally they would end up using one of those in their cameras.

Come on wake up Pentax...

09-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
The new card works just fine in my 4 year old Sony point and shoot camera and also in my 5 year old Canon camcorder with no problems.
09-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May well depend on the camera manufacturer's choice of chip to drive the card interface. They can change to more modern chips in newer products but its hard baked into older kit.
09-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Original Poster
Is class 6 the maximum speed that this camera would work yet and if we use class 10, it would still work at class 6 speeds while not utilizing class 10 speeds?
09-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #11

Sandisk 32Gb microSD UHC-1 card via adapter that came with card works great with my K-30. Sandisk 16Gb Sd Extreme Uhc-1 also no issues. Guess you can't go wrong with Sandisk
09-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rmcinc Quote
Sandisk 32Gb microSD UHC-1 card via adapter that came with card works great with my K-30. Sandisk 16Gb Sd Extreme Uhc-1 also no issues. Guess you can't go wrong with Sandisk
I'd tried 3 of those cards with no improvement in reliability on my K-x. Would seem to suggest that newer gen cameras are ok with microSD, not so older ones.
10-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
memory card errors in K30

I just purchased 2 Samsung 32GB Class 10 SDHC UHS1 memory cards. Neither of my two K30 bodies will accept them. I get the Memory Card issue in both. I tried the memory in my Kx body, and it read the card fine. I was also able to format the card in the Kx. I tried putting it into a K30 after the Kx had formatted it, but go the same error message.

Both my K30 bodes have updated firmware to Version 1.05.

By the way, the Samsung cards work fine in the computer, and again, in the Kx. I didn't try them in my K100D bodies.

Apparently there is something going on with the K30 software/firmware.
10-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Just an Update: the Sony SF-16UY 16gb SDHC UHS-1 does NOT work in the K-30. So don't be tempted by the low price for this 40MB/s card.
12-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Just an Update: the Sony SF-16UY 16gb SDHC UHS-1 does NOT work in the K-30. So don't be tempted by the low price for this 40MB/s card.
I have two Sony SF-16UY and both have worked without a hitch since I purchased them in June. I decided to keep one in my Lumix LX-5 and recording movies and taking stills has never been an issue in that camera.

Recently, I purchased two PNY Elite Performance 16GB for $10.99 any they're even faster than the Sony cards. Copying photos from my laptop to the card is three times faster than the Sony.

Perhaps the components in the cards are causing an issue with your camera?