Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Defective viewfinder display

Hi,

has anyone faced one partly defective digit on the viewfinder display? Defective are several segments of the first digit, showing thousands of ISO, i.e. ISO>= 1000.

The sad thing is that this appeared after warranty repair of the same mistake few months ago, which appeared not in the viewfinder but on the top display.
I thought it will be just trivial wiring issue and let it be some time. But serviceman told me today, that static electricity could damage segment driver on PCB and entire PCB has probably to be replaced. Unfortunately not under warranty.
I would say, that authorised service caused that during the first repair. Otherwise I canīt imagine, that I could create static electricity inside the body. But I came too late with complaint. My fault

Has anyone similar experience?

Attached Images

Last edited by Jan67; 09-04-2013 at 08:05 AM.
09-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt it is static electricity, unless the display is assembled by a production worker that didn't fit his/her wrist band. LCD displays have their contacts in a row at the bottom and they are very small, so its easy to damage them (at production). So, to me it seems a warranty case, unless you have dropped the camera, which can misalign the contacts when the display is shifted.

Edit: After re-reading your post I also think it is caused during the first repair.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 09-04-2013 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Line added.
09-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #3

Try to speak to another person or a manager. Perhaps you will get this situation rectified.
09-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I just sent my K-5 for a warranty repair because of a similar problem. I my case there were several digits with missing segments, making the display more or less unreadable. The problem came out of nowhere last week: one morning the display was screwed up, having been OK the night before (and I definetely have not dropped the camera or mistreated it in any other way).

09-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies.
Arto, was it top or viewfinder display?
Would be interesting to know, what they have to repair in your case.

I already wrote to Pentax official distributor and wait for reaction.
09-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Usually the repair work itself has its own warranty for a few months. If you can convince them it was their fault, maybe they'll fix it for nothing...
09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
Thanks for replies.
Arto, was it top or viewfinder display?
Would be interesting to know, what they have to repair in your case.

I already wrote to Pentax official distributor and wait for reaction.
It was the viewfinder display. I'll let you know what they repaired once I get my camera back (it's probably going to take one or two weeks).
10-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Arto Suomi Quote
It was the viewfinder display. I'll let you know what they repaired once I get my camera back (it's probably going to take one or two weeks).
Got my camera finally back from the repair. Except that it wasn't the same camera that I sent them but a brand new K5-II!

When I called them a couple of weeks ago to check what the situation was, they said that they had ordered a spare part from the manufacturer and were waiting for it. Well, I don't know what happened but today UPS delivered me a packet and inside was the K-5II and a note that they were sending me the new camera as a warranty replacement (my K-5 was still under warranty).

10-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arto Suomi Quote
Got my camera finally back from the repair. Except that it wasn't the same camera that I sent them but a brand new K5-II!

When I called them a couple of weeks ago to check what the situation was, they said that they had ordered a spare part from the manufacturer and were waiting for it. Well, I don't know what happened but today UPS delivered me a packet and inside was the K-5II and a note that they were sending me the new camera as a warranty replacement (my K-5 was still under warranty).
Nice customer service.