Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
pixels

Hi all. Don't know if I'm getting more stupid in my old but if you don't use a digital camera for a while, do the pixels have to 'wake up'. It's just that I took some pictures but they didn't seem all that sharp at first. I carried on for a while and then things sharpened up a fair bit.

09-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No, that doesn't seem normal.

What camera, lens? What you may be suffering is missing the focus by a small margin.
09-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
I carried on for a while and then things sharpened up a fair bit.
I got the same phenomenon going on...just a part of getting old and slow.
09-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter

For sure all the later dSLRs have a 'Map Pixel' function in the menu. It checks the operational status of all the pixels in the sensor and creates interpolations for any that are truly not functioning properly.

09-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
For sure all the later dSLRs have a 'Map Pixel' function in the menu. It checks the operational status of all the pixels in the sensor and creates interpolations for any that are truly not functioning properly.
This could turn in to interesting thread. How in the heck did you extract that from his post? The way I read it was that the individual was having trouble focusing on the back display.
09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Post #2 alluded to 'old-age' eyes, I think in jest. (and I've had that problem with my own growing older eyes, so I understand). But Post #1 was specifically referring to a digital camera that has been sitting for some time and images that didn't seem sharp. He didn't say where he viewed these images, on the LCD or an external device (could be both). It is always a good idea to run the Map Pixel function after a camera has been sitting unused for a while. In fact, it should be run periodically even on a camera that sees regular use.

Based on the slim details, I have no idea if pixel mapping will help this specific problem, but it sure as heck won't hurt, and may in fact help because the Map Pixel function will exercise every pixel in the sensor and verify its condition.
09-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I had a series of shots that were soft and shimmery looking happen when I took my k7 out of the car, where it had been sitting on the floor. The spot where it was sitting was actually where an air con vent was pointed. The outside air was above 35 degrees, so I think the sudden temperature difference with the sun heating the camera's black body caused the air in the camera to shimmer or condense. Reviewing shots later, the shots taken initially were soft and awful but they improved after about 10 minutes. Worked out this problem in a post from earlier this year.

Maybe this is possible???
09-05-2013, 02:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter

That is a good possibility, a fogged up lens clearing up after awhile makes sense.

09-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Or the OP is shooting raw and using a slow-ish computer? some software loads the embeded jpg first (for speed), then it takes a few seconds to load/generate the raw.

jg
09-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Me again. Camera is a K200d. Lens was a 70-300sigma apo. Can't remember the settings. Used self timer on a tripod. Condensation was not an issue. Viewed the shot on the camera zoomed in to the max. Perhaps I should have looked at them pics on the PC before I deleted them. Thanks for all your replies. Will try to have a look at the pixel mapping thing, if the camera has such a function. I'll keep you posted.
09-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by gumbee Quote
Or the OP is shooting raw and using a slow-ish computer? some software loads the embeded jpg first (for speed), then it takes a few seconds to load/generate the raw.
+1 that's the version of the OP question that I was thinking of.