Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Odd sound after shutter release on my K-7

New sound cropped up from my K-7: a slight click/clunk after an image is captured and the mirror returns down and the shutter returns to the closed position- seems that the noise is most likely generated when the shutter returns to its closed state.

I've read through the threads regarding this issue (not many)- this thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/107805-k-7-weird-s...r-release.html
The thread includes a wav file that is exactly the sound my K-7 just started making this morning. Basically it is a slight "clack" in the grip side of the camera after the capture cycle is complete- I can feel it in the grip as well.

I've put my ear close to the camera and the noise is present in any shooting mode after the final image is taken. In bulb mode I can hear the sound of a mechanism "whirring" is the best description I can give when the shutter button is held down. Sounds to me as if the shutter mechanism is now exhibiting some noise that it wasn't before when returning the shutter to the closed position. The noise is there with/without SR on, in any camera orientation.

Some users have noted it happened fairly early on with their K-7. My copy is a new-to-me used camera with ~17k shutter actuations.

I'm just hoping this isn't indication that the shutter is dying- I'll get used to the noise, but wanted to know if anybody has had this noise and their shutter died on them soon after?

Thanks all!