Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Fa 50/1.4 cannot focus infinity

Hi,

I am right now in croatia and found out that my Fa 50mm/1.4 lens cannot focus to infinity on my K5IIs.

It would need to turn a few degrees beyond the mechanical limiter to focus correctly. Instead the motor cannot turn anymore, the camera gives up and focus symbol blinks.

Focusing to anything closer than infinity works perfectly.

Is this something that I can easily fix by myself or should I send it in for repair?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Klaus

09-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you use manual focus to get infinity?
Until you get it fixed, you can try the following:
a) dismount lens, clean the lens mount and the camera mount, make sure the contacts and AF screw are free of grime
b) make sure battery is fully charged so it has enough power to AF properly
c) Make sure the lens' focus ring works properly and isn't too stiff
09-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

You can also try to adjust the AF fine adjustment.
09-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've found that the rear element group of this lens comes unscrewed rather easily. Check to make sure it's screwed in all the way, and if it's not, screw it in tight.

09-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
Hi,

I am right now in croatia and found out that my Fa 50mm/1.4 lens cannot focus to infinity on my K5IIs.

It would need to turn a few degrees beyond the mechanical limiter to focus correctly. Instead the motor cannot turn anymore, the camera gives up and focus symbol blinks.

Focusing to anything closer than infinity works perfectly.

Is this something that I can easily fix by myself or should I send it in for repair?

Any helpful advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Klaus
Af adjustments will most likely be able to take care of the issue. Try -5 for starters and see if that helps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Af adjustments will most likely be able to take care of the issue. Try -5 for starters and see if that helps.
Thank you, Adam.
I set the focus adjustment to +5 and focus to infinity works now.

However, the focus ring can not be turned further if I focus to infinity. All my other lenses can be turned a few more milimeters beyond infinity. Should this be fixed by a professional service? Or can I do this by myself?

Best wishes,
Klaus

09-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
Thank you, Adam.
I set the focus adjustment to +5 and focus to infinity works now.

However, the focus ring can not be turned further if I focus to infinity. All my other lenses can be turned a few more milimeters beyond infinity. Should this be fixed by a professional service? Or can I do this by myself?

Best wishes,
Klaus
How far the ring turns depends on the lens as well as the ambient temperature. If your lens is focusing fine, then I wouldn't worry about it- but if it's still having issues even though it's saying things are in focus, then yes, I would recommend having the lens calibrated.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: