Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Need Repair Advice

I havn't done my homework yet but thought I would make a post and see if anyone has experience and or advice. Using my K10 today with a Metz 48 flash mounted on it, managed to fall off the back of a golf cart. I'm fine but the K10 not so good. The flash seperated from the K10 by basiclly ripping the flash mount right off the top of the camera, leaving a gapping hole with some wires hanging out. The camera turns on, shutter still works, but images are completly black.
So my question is : Based on what I think the cameras value is (was), about $200 including grip, would a Pentax factory repair make any sense? or is it time to upgrade? are there any other repair sites to consider?

MSC 9/7/13

09-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Maybe consider an upgrade.
09-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaKettle Quote
Based on what I think the cameras value is (was), about $200 including grip, would a Pentax factory repair make any sense? or is it time to upgrade? are there any other repair sites to consider?
C.R.I.S. is Pentax/Ricoh official service center and you can actually get an online (ballpark) service quote - I checked and it came up $191 for a K10D. I would consider upgrading instead. Depending on our budget but I believe the K30 would be a good bang-for-buck value especially on how much they're being advertised nowadays.
09-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
Gets Worse

Thanks for the support info, about where I would have guessed at price, and now I'm sure the K10 is not going to be repaired. I did play with the camera yesterday, turns out the reason I was getting black images has to do with the lens, my other lenses seem to work just fine, so I may have lost a 16-45 f4 in the fall as well. What really scares me is that I had my Tamaron 70-200 2.8 in my backpack bag on my shoulders when I went down, the focus sounds a little louder than normal, I'm hoping that it has something to with the focus motor in the camera body and not the lens. K30 is looking like it might be next camera.