Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #1

Recover files from SD card Pentax K-5

Hello,

I upgraded from a Kx to a K-5 earlier this year and I was forced to delete som pictures from my camera during a visit in China a few weeks ago, I didn't use the card any more after that and thought I could recover the picures. However, all applications I have tried can restore all pictures taken two years ago with the same sd card but with my K-x but only the thumbnails from the pictures taken with the K-5.

Is there any reason for that or just very bad luck for me?

What's the best application to use?

09-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #2
Pentaxian

What have you tried so far?
09-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Did you follow these instructions when you moved the SD from the K-x to the K-5?

Try Welcome to the Transcend Info Website or Windows Data Recovery Software for Recovering Lost or Deleted files
09-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #4

Better find a data recovery service or shop to recover the data, don't make any attempts to recover it via software that may potentially overwrites exist data blocks.
OFC if the data worth the recovery fee...

09-08-2013, 03:28 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Try this -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By0jiPA7Nfb4T2dkNHp2aWpRZzQ/edit?usp=sharing
09-08-2013, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
try a program called recuva, worked for me!
09-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MagickPanda Quote
Better find a data recovery service or shop to recover the data, don't make any attempts to recover it via software that may potentially overwrites exist data blocks.
OFC if the data worth the recovery fee...
Recovery software doesn't write to the disk they just read, there is no danger from over-writing data by using them, they don't write to the card at all. They will even recover images from a formatted card, formatting only removes the pointer to the image file, the images will still be there unless you have taken subsequent images which over-writes the memory space.

Chris

09-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

What size are the files that are only showing thumbnails? It seems more likely that the problem is in the interpretation of the files than in the content of the files. What software are you using to display the files, and what format were they recorded in?

Paul
09-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
try a program called recuva, worked for me!
Yeah, Recuva worked best for me, too. At least, compared to the other free software I tried (IIRC, I also tried Pandora and EaseUS, I think). Unfortunately, it didn't recover EVERYTHING. But it recovered more files compared to the others.
09-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Another vote for free Recuva!!! I deleted my My Documents folder with 32Gig of files one time while cleaning and organizing the folder in my PC, I recovered all 32 Gig without any issue.
09-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've used 'photorec' with success in the past to recover files from a card that, according to the camera, suddenly did not contain any images after three days shooting.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
What size are the files that are only showing thumbnails? It seems more likely that the problem is in the interpretation of the files than in the content of the files. What software are you using to display the files, and what format were they recorded in?
A very good point.
09-10-2013, 03:08 AM   #12

I tested photorec versus recuva. Photorec found and recovered files that Recuva did not even list. Some of these were taken and deleted months ago. It may not have a fancy graphical interface but is better at what it does than Recuva.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity