Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

Pentax K5 Built in flash + AF + AF Knob issue

Hello!
I am calling for help :|

Here is my situation :
Pentax K5 Camera - Never exposed to rain/kept in good condition/never dropped or "banged" Camera handled with care. Carried in a camera backpack usually on my back or in the car, seatbelted to the seat.
Camera bought in January from Henrys in Canada.

Issue :
Built in flash wont fire in ANY mode, half shutter wont AF either if flash is out.
The button to select (MF, C-AFS, AF) clicks loudly and loosely between MF and C-AFS, so there is 4 clicks for 3 options (they all work properly tho)
Hotshoe flash still works fine
Live view very noisy, if built in flash is up, live view freezes and battery needs to be taken out to be able to reuse camera.

Solutions tried :
Change batteries
Try DA , FA, M lenses.
Updated Firmware

Questions :
What could cause this?
Are these repairs covered on warranty?
Am i the only one with those issues? or are they known problems?
K5 to K5IIs ... is there a big difference? or is it better to get the K5 fixed and wait for the next model?
How long does it usually take for you to get your camera back from repairs (It would suck to have no camera for a month or two )

09-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New main board required, known faults I,m afraid, I have had similar, If under warranty send in immediately, or get a quote to repair, sorry to be negative but I speak from experience
It also sounds to me like a mechanical fault on the focus switch, but you need a repair centre I'lm afraid
09-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, this is very frustrating. withing 7 month and 2 failure.... I wonder if pentax might consider a "lemon" policy hehe.
09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

sorry, to give you bad news, however my advice would be to speak to Pentax not their repair centre before sending it off , repair centres are contractors and do not make decisions with out Pentax say so when its warranty.

if this is still very new you could shout faulty goods being sold , depending on your consumer laws and rights.

09-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
I called at ricoh canada they said bring it to the authorized seller that sold me the camera for water/shock dmg inspection (none)
and if none of those are present camera will be fixed altho due to no more K-5 being sold they might replace by K5II OR if i agree pay the 100$ premium and get K5IIs .
That is if the camera repair exceed K5 worth price.
I am very satisfied with this answer now w'ell see what will be done in reality ... words are only worthy of the actions hehe.

Thanks for the help tho!
09-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

excellent sound like a good deal either way.
09-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rampage2k5 Quote
Hello!
I am calling for help :|

Here is my situation :
Pentax K5 Camera - Never exposed to rain/kept in good condition/never dropped or "banged" Camera handled with care. Carried in a camera backpack usually on my back or in the car, seatbelted to the seat.
Camera bought in January from Henrys in Canada.

Issue :
Built in flash wont fire in ANY mode, half shutter wont AF either if flash is out.
The button to select (MF, C-AFS, AF) clicks loudly and loosely between MF and C-AFS, so there is 4 clicks for 3 options (they all work properly tho)
Hotshoe flash still works fine
Live view very noisy, if built in flash is up, live view freezes and battery needs to be taken out to be able to reuse camera.

Solutions tried :
Change batteries
Try DA , FA, M lenses.
Updated Firmware

Questions :
What could cause this?
Are these repairs covered on warranty?
Am i the only one with those issues? or are they known problems?
K5 to K5IIs ... is there a big difference? or is it better to get the K5 fixed and wait for the next model?
How long does it usually take for you to get your camera back from repairs (It would suck to have no camera for a month or two )
I found pentax canada service is very god, and if you are in the Toronto region, it is located in Mississauga just around erinmills road and the 401. Take the camera there.

My K10D failed some time ago, they replaced the lens mount, complete shutter and mirror assembly , and did an overall clean and service, it took less than 2 weeks, and that included 2 weekends and a mid week holiday

Mine was pair pair as it was out of warranty,mount if there are no parts issues you should expect the same serivce