Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Circ Polarizer stuck

Bought a new Circ polarizer and have used it 2 times. First time it was really hard to unscrew off the lens, well now I cant unscrew it off my lens. Its a B & W , I had a tiffen before and never had any issues. Any suggestions? I have tried running the lens under hot water (DA* 16 - 50) and spraying WD-40 on the threads of the filter, no luck.

Thanks, Debbie

09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you tried putting a rubber band around the filter to give you a bit more grip getting it off?
09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Have you tried putting a rubber band around the filter to give you a bit more grip getting it off?
yes, no luck. I just bought a filter wrench!
09-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too late now, but I wouldn't have used WD40. It will be very difficult to clean off the filter glass, and no doubt spread everywhere else as well.

09-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #5

Sometimes when you try to remove a filter you grip it too hard, which slightly distorts it and creates pressure points. Holding it gently with an even pressure around it sometimes works.
A shame about the WD40 though - not sure that was a good idea!
09-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #6

Yeah WD40 was a bad idea, did it misthread? Sometimes I misthread mine so it goes on crooked and is difficult to get off. See if you can gently tap it if it is misthreaded to get it into the correct threads.
09-09-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
WD40 can dissolve silicon. Many seals are made of silicon. Do not use WD40.

09-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
Sometimes when you try to remove a filter you grip it too hard, which slightly distorts it and creates pressure points. Holding it gently with an even pressure around it sometimes works.
I've said this in many similar threads before....... A plastic Cable Tie aka "zip-tie" is great for giving even pressure and gripping the ring with plenty of friction the entire circumference.

You can cut off the little locking tab so it can be re-used over and over and it takes up almost no space in your bag.
09-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #9

Filter wrenches have never failed me yet in 25 years. WD40 is not a good idea.

Try lubricating (before installation) by rubbing a bar of soap, candle, crayon or soft lead pencil on the threads. Just a tiny bit is all you need.
09-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I once bought a lens with filter at a yard sale and could not remove the filter. I tried brute strength but it was stuck fast. Then I read somewhere that if you put the lens in a refrigerator freezer for a short time (minutes) it could do the job. I tried it and the filter came off very easily without force. Give it a try.
09-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try lubricating (before installation) by rubbing a bar of soap, candle, crayon or soft lead pencil on the threads. Just a tiny bit is all you need.
I brush a tiny amount of graphite powder on to the filter thread and then carefully blow the excess off. Only the minutest amount will do the trick and it will stay on to work for years. Graphite powder is what locksmiths blow into locks because unlike other substances it will never gum up the delicate parts inside.

But of course this you need to do before using the filter.

Greetings