Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Problem updating firmware on Pentax K-7

I have been trying without success to update the firmware on my Pentax K-7. I downloaded it without problem and have extracted the exe file, saving the resulting files to the I drive which is my SD card. I saved it to I:\. When I look at the directory on that card on my computer, I find the DCIM file folder, the appropriate BIN file (FWDC208B.BIN) and the readme file. My battery indicator shows a fully charged battery. When I put the SD card into the camera and turn it on while holding the "menu" key down, all I get is "Pentax K-7 Ver: 1.00". The screen then goes on as though I were preparing to take photos. What is going wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice. Bill

09-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wklopf Quote
I have been trying without success to update the firmware on my Pentax K-7. I downloaded it without problem and have extracted the exe file, saving the resulting files to the I drive which is my SD card. I saved it to I:\. When I look at the directory on that card on my computer, I find the DCIM file folder, the appropriate BIN file (FWDC208B.BIN) and the readme file. My battery indicator shows a fully charged battery. When I put the SD card into the camera and turn it on while holding the "menu" key down, all I get is "Pentax K-7 Ver: 1.00". The screen then goes on as though I were preparing to take photos. What is going wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice. Bill
Is the .BIN file inside the DCIM folder or outside? It should be outside, in the root of the SD card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
It is not in the DCIM folder. I had made that mistake earlier. I read several threads about similar problems before I posted mine, Could the fact that my SD card is HC contribute to this? Thanks. Bill
09-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might try formatting the SD card in the camera (HC makes no difference), then put the card in your computer, directly copy the .BIN file to the card (nothing else) and try it again in the K-7. Good luck.

09-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
On all of my attempts I have formatted the SD card in the camera. I have used at least two different SD cards. I have extracted the BIN file directly to the root directory of SD card. This also resulted in the readme file going onto the card as well. I have tried the update with the readme file on the card, and I have tried it after deleting that file. No difference. Just now I formatted a different SD card in the camera and I COPIED the BIN file to the root directory. I still get the "Pentax K-7 Ver: 1.00" message. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what. My computer says that the BIN file is 10752 KB. Is that about right? Thanks for any suggestions which you might make. Bill
09-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wklopf Quote
On all of my attempts I have formatted the SD card in the camera. I have used at least two different SD cards. I have extracted the BIN file directly to the root directory of SD card. This also resulted in the readme file going onto the card as well. I have tried the update with the readme file on the card, and I have tried it after deleting that file. No difference. Just now I formatted a different SD card in the camera and I COPIED the BIN file to the root directory. I still get the "Pentax K-7 Ver: 1.00" message. I must be doing something wrong, but I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what. My computer says that the BIN file is 10752 KB. Is that about right? Thanks for any suggestions which you might make. Bill
You may have gotten the wrong file. You're supposed to have fwdc204b.bin

Here's a download link:
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/firmware/K7_E112M.zip

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
The site which I downloaded from had version 1.13, which is what I have been working with. That gave me FWDC208B.BIN. I have downloaded version 1.12 as well and extracted that too. There I have FWDC204B.BIN. Is version 1.12 the latest firmware version or is 1.13? Thanks again. Bill

09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
I just tried it with the FWDC204B.BIN file and that seems to be working. Thanks. Bill
09-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #9

Original Poster
I just looked at the readme file and somehow I downloaded the firmware update for the K-r. Sorry that I caused you this much trouble. Maybe I'm going blind. Bill
09-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No problem Bill - glad you got it sorted out!!