Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #1

Dropped K200D - now pics are green

Hi, I pulled my camera out of storage and dropped it onto a tile floor the next day. The camera body, LCD screen, and DA 18-55mm lens look fine and the mounting is fine. Everything seems to be working pretty well save for one thing. Now all the pictures are bright green. Is this a broken sensor or possibly, anything, more easily fixed? I tried pixel mapping just to try something. This is the only lens I have right now, so I hope it might just be the lens. Thank you.

Attached Images

09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That doesn't look like a lens issue. As a matter of fact, I don't know what would cause that.
09-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

looks like the sensor is only outputting the green channel.
09-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

This thread suggests checking the SD card, and this one says the motherboard is bad.

It might be as simple as checking the connections on the sensor assembly.

09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

Looks like a cable became loose when you dropped it
09-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely not the lens.
09-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indeed, it looks like part of the sensor data isn't being read out. It could be a simple fix or something irreparable, but chances are that your best bet will be to look at upgrades like the K-30 or K-50.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Looking at how green your pix are, sadly it does not seem to be a "White Balance" problem. But if you haven't already, press the "Fn" button and reset the the white balance just for the heck of it. I just played around with WB on my K200 and it is possible to take a green picture. It's worth a try.

09-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you. I did swap SD cards with a new one to no avail, and the SD card works fine in another camera. I was wildly hoping it could be the lens, but that doesn't make much sense. I am now debating taking a trip to a store or just getting a newer model or maybe a k200d again as I am like a beginner again. That camera landed on the lens sheild then bounced 3 feet back in the air and bounced five times and came so close to being all right. And it made it through a lot of backpacking trips back in the day. It was a rugged camera.

I will have it looked at when I can get to a repair location. I guess the last hope is a loose wire because pricing a motherboard or sensor repair would make no sense. It seems like other people get this issue randomly and I dropped the camera good, so crossing my fingers it is a loose wire. It does look like a Hulk filter like the other thread said. I can get really bright, saturated orange to show up, but that is about it. Thank you again.
09-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you are lucky, it might be just a loose cable connector.
09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reset the camera to factory defaults and go from there.

Also try upgrading or re-installing the firmware, even if you're already running the current version. Sometimes this does the trick with electronics.

If it's still bad then you can start analyzing it or send it in for repair.

The new cameras are great, but the K200D is unique and is still my favorite for some situations, so fixing it or finding a used replacement might be worthwhile.
09-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Forum Member

What happens when you take a photo with no lens? And if you don't plan on fixing it and you are gonna chuck it might i suggest hitting it hard a few time before giving in karma might be on your side an knock a cable back in
09-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

FWIW, the Pentax Web Store in the US is currently selling NOS K200D bodies for $330. Not saying this is a better route than a newer used body, but it is an option.
09-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #14

Original Poster
It still is green after the reset and messing around with the white balance and resetting it again. I did try some pics with the lens off and it looked green. Maybe it is a loose cable, so I will take it in to the city when I can. If not, that $330 body looks pretty good, as does the k-30. Thank you all.
09-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #15
Forum Member

Also might want to look into a extended accidental warranty. Bestbuy offers 1 and 2 year warranties for new cameras bought off of ebay. I broke my K-30 sent it in and received a check for the total purchase price. Ended up with two free lens with the deal :P