Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K5 using an A lens

I have a K5 and would like to trying using a Pentax A lens 28-80mm zoom but need advice as how to reset the camera settngs on the menu. I have no problem with the supplied lens but would like to try this A lens.

Any advice welcome.

Martin

09-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thegrasshopper Quote
I have a K5 and would like to trying using a Pentax A lens 28-80mm zoom but need advice as how to reset the camera settngs on the menu. I have no problem with the supplied lens but would like to try this A lens.

Any advice welcome.

Martin
You don't need to change any settings, just make sure you leave the lens's aperture ring set to "A", then fire away

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K5 with A lens

Thanks for the quick reply and gave it a try using the red A setting on the lens but nothing nothing happens......the camera does not even fire.

Martin
09-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K5 with A lens

Thanks to Adam have got the lens to work on K5 [despite my error reading his advice]..........firing is no problem but can it operate on auto-focus or does manual focus have to be used.

Martin

09-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Manual Focus?

Hello Martin,
Go to Menu, then to 'C' (custom) scroll to # 38 'Using Aperture Ring'. Click on # 2 "permitted'.
Now, whenever you use a manual focus lens, it will ask you for the focal length. Click 'OK' for the length you're using.
This setting won't affect any functions of the AF lenses, leave it on all the time.
Ron
P.S. Just saw your latest post. If it's an 'A" lens, it's auto aperture, manual focus. You can now change the aperture with the thumb wheel, but must focus manually.
09-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Maula Focus

Thanks for reply - when the weather imroves I shall give it a try.

Martin
09-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check your user manual for Catch In Focus (CIF) - if your camera has it enabled, the shutter will not release unless you have achieved a focus confirmation. Setting the AF-S / AF-C / M switch to M by passes CIF.

09-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K5 & A lens

Matt, thanks for your answer and help.

Martin