Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Alpa Lens on my Pentax

Earlier this year I inherited some camera gear from my Grandmother. The list of stuff is:

- 9d Body
- Schneider Alpa Tele-Xenar 1:3.5/135 in Original Box w/ caps and hood
- Schneider Alpa - Curtagon 1:2.8/35 in Original Box w/ caps and hood
- Kern-Macro-Switar 1:1.8/50 AR w/ front cap and hood

Also have a set of genuine extension tubes.

So after much research I decided that there isn't really any hope of adapting these to a pentax because the Alpa bodies were designed so that they could take various brand lenses. Therefore the lenses designed to fit directly have no hope of fitting anything else.

However, I thought I'd ask the resourceful people on these forums to see if there are any ideas?

I have bought an adapter to connect them to my brothers NEX and I have thought about getting an NEX just to use these but I'd rather not. I'm also in the middle of putting a roll of film through the camera to see how it turns out.

Here are a few photos:

50mm:

Crazy amount of focus throw:

35mm:

135mm aka "The Tank":

9D with 50mm:

Photo taken with the 50mm on the NEX. Had to use the on board flash.

There is fungus in all of them. The 35mm is the worst. But they still produced clean images on the NEX.

How about if I was able to attach one of the extension tubes to an M42 to K adapter. Would the result mean a shorter maximum focal distance?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

09-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a pity that the lenses have fungus, though all have an excellent reputation and would be worth taking to a reputable service person experienced with Alpa mount to be renewed. Ditto for the body.

Your Alpa was an expensive and desireable precision instrument when new. As you mentioned, Alpa did not make their own optics. Rather, they contracted with some of the best makers in Europe for optics to sell with their cameras.

Steve
09-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The alpa is an interesting camera--I have the same 9d, dating from 1964 as I recall. It (and the lenses) is more dated than pentax cameras/lenses--but not in quality. Topcon D, spotmatic and alpa 9d all claimed to be 1st w/ thru lens light meter. The 50mm macro switar is a superb lens. I rather doubt there is any adapter--the alpa had the shortest registration distance of all 35mm SLRs. They could take a 35mm (or was it 40mm) lens as I recall and not be retrofocus.
09-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter

I would also comment on the 135mm. I have it also except in the later lighter weight package (believe same optically)--although slow it is also excellent. Both these (50mm and 135mm) are excellent wide open!

09-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I have found and discussed taking the gear to a local repair shop but it was going to be a fairly expensive exercise to even get them looked at. I know they are all probably worth maintaining in as good condition as possible but they are no where near mint so I am more interested in just using it rather than simply putting them behind glass. They would have been taken trekking to places such as Nepal and the Himalaya. So definitely well used.

What would be the effect of adapting the 50mm if I made the adapter as short as I could? Would it still be usable as a macro? This is probably what I am most interested in as I don't currently have a macro in my lens lineup.

I'm also trying to find out what my Grandmother has done with her Leica gear that she replaced this kit with.
09-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter

If you mean on the pentax, as the alpa registration distance is (as a guess) about 10mm less than Pentax (there are tables of these for alpa, pentax etc.--do a search), a very (!) short adapter would mean essentially m=0.2 when lens is set to infinity (10mm/50mm=0.2). And at closest the lens has m=1/3 as I recall, so it will now be 1/3*50+10~26mm, or about m=0.5. So it covers m=0.2 to m=05, about. You have Alpa extension tubes--so it will take you to very large m. But this is not auto--unless you use a double cable release (Alpa had a nice one).
09-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Why not go outside the Pentax family and look at some ody else's ILC, perhaps there is one with an adaptor that can easily be modified. Pentax Q would be a likely candidate except the sensor is so small the crop factor would really be an issue, but there are some rather large sensor ILC cameras with short registry distances out thre
09-12-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
Thanks for the responses. I have found and discussed taking the gear to a local repair shop but it was going to be a fairly expensive exercise to even get them looked at. I know they are all probably worth maintaining in as good condition as possible but they are no where near mint so I am more interested in just using it rather than simply putting them behind glass. They would have been taken trekking to places such as Nepal and the Himalaya. So definitely well used.

What would be the effect of adapting the 50mm if I made the adapter as short as I could? Would it still be usable as a macro? This is probably what I am most interested in as I don't currently have a macro in my lens lineup.

I'm also trying to find out what my Grandmother has done with her Leica gear that she replaced this kit with.
Hi,
Give f16 a ring at Margate. His phone number is 07 3284 1588.
Regards.

09-12-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

PM Sent
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

@dms
Your guess about registration difference was good: In fact it is 7.66mm
So the range for macro may be a bit wider.

Register:
Pentax 45.46
Alpa 37.8
09-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If you mean on the pentax, as the alpa registration distance is (as a guess) about 10mm less than Pentax (there are tables of these for alpa, pentax etc.--do a search), a very (!) short adapter would mean essentially m=0.2 when lens is set to infinity (10mm/50mm=0.2). And at closest the lens has m=1/3 as I recall, so it will now be 1/3*50+10~26mm, or about m=0.5. So it covers m=0.2 to m=05, about. You have Alpa extension tubes--so it will take you to very large m. But this is not auto--unless you use a double cable release (Alpa had a nice one).
Hi, thanks. I think I'll just have to do some research so I understand what's going on here (I'm not sure what m is above). I just stopped down the lens while pressing the shutter on the NEX.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why not go outside the Pentax family and look at some ody else's ILC, perhaps there is one with an adaptor that can easily be modified. Pentax Q would be a likely candidate except the sensor is so small the crop factor would really be an issue, but there are some rather large sensor ILC cameras with short registry distances out thre
Thanks, that is definitely an option. But that costs money which I don't really want to spend at the moment.

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
PM Sent
Thanks Gordon. PM replied