Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
Hi - this is definitely a beginner problem, and I apologize if it has been addressed elsewhere. Long story short, I cannot spin my CPL filter with my hood on the lens. I just started using the hood on the lens, as apparently that is a good idea, and it seems impossible to use the filter at the same time. So, do I set the CPL then attache hood; don't use together; or am I missing something/have stubby fingers.
Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions.
DW
I have bought many good quality metal screw on lens hoods (46mm up to 72mm) from a guy named Heavystar on Ebay. They offer good protection all the while allowing you to use a C-Pl. Be mindful though, that when using them on a zoom lens that you buy a size that will not vignette when the lens is set to the short end of its focal length. On my pentax 50-200mm, I had to buy a 49mm to 72mm step up ring.

09-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If you have access to a Dremel they would be easy to cut.

This shows how the Pentax hood is, just a rectangular hole on the bottom side of the hood. If you buy a spare set of hoods then you don't have to worry about making some way to cover the hole when you aren't using a CPL, just swap the hoods.
I use a Nikon D3200 with the kit 18-55 Nikkor lens. By any chance, would i be able to use one of those Pentax lens hoods on my camera so i can utilize the feature? I've found a bunch on Ebay for as little as $3 that are made for Pentaxs but are still made for the Pentax 18-55 and have the 52mm threads. It seems like it's an identical lens to the one i have but made by a different brand. And Nikon doesn't make any with the filter hole and i have no skill with a dremel nor do i own one.
09-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShiftPhoto Quote
I use a Nikon D3200 with the kit 18-55 Nikkor lens. By any chance, would i be able to use one of those Pentax lens hoods on my camera so i can utilize the feature? I've found a bunch on Ebay for as little as $3 that are made for Pentaxs but are still made for the Pentax 18-55 and have the 52mm threads. It seems like it's an identical lens to the one i have but made by a different brand. And Nikon doesn't make any with the filter hole and i have no skill with a dremel nor do i own one.
The bayonet hoods will most likely not fit unless you're really lucky. May still be worth a shot for $3!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The bayonet hoods will most likely not fit unless you're really lucky. May still be worth a shot for $3!
I've never used a lens hood before so may i ask, what exactly is the difference between a bayonet hood and a petal hood?

This is the one i'm talking about. I dont exactly even know if this one would vignette.
Ph RBA 52mm Lens Hood for Pentax K200D K20D K10D K M KM with 18 55mm Lens 52mm | eBay

By the way, this probably doesn't make a difference but it might. I use a Hoya HD Polarization Filter so it does have front threads although it's a slim filter. Do they make a hood that can rotate with this filter?

09-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
Inactive Account

I've never used a lens hood before so may i ask, what exactly is the difference between a bayonet hood and a petal hood?
Petal is the shape of the hood (also called a flower petal hood) and bayonet is how the hood mounts. Bayonet hoods mount to the outside of the lens barrel and each manufacturer is going to have a slightly different bayonet, so using one from another brand is not likely to work.

By the way, this probably doesn't make a difference but it might. I use a Hoya HD Polarization Filter so it does have front threads although it's a slim filter. Do they make a hood that can rotate with this filter?
The alternative to a bayonet mount is one that mounts to the filter threads, which is what you would need. So just try to find one that is close to the original hood's design and dimensions.
09-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Petal is the shape of the hood (also called a flower petal hood) and bayonet is how the hood mounts. Bayonet hoods mount to the outside of the lens barrel and each manufacturer is going to have a slightly different bayonet, so using one from another brand is not likely to work.

The alternative to a bayonet mount is one that mounts to the filter threads, which is what you would need. So just try to find one that is close to the original hood's design and dimensions.
Oh. Thank you. Would a hood like this one rotate with the filter? I think it screws into the threads of the filter and it's fitted for the lens i have.
Professional 52mm Reversible Lens Hood for Nikon 18 55 55 200 50mm Pentax 50 New | eBay
09-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #22
Inactive Account

It will work. Though petal hoods being rotated can cause vignetting problems, but that would be at the wide end of your zoom.

09-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #23
Inactive Account

It will work. Though petal hoods being rotated can cause vignetting problems, but that would be at the wide end of your zoom.
Oh, i thought the petal hoods were supposed to not vignette. Would a normal circular one be better then? Because 18 is the range i use the most. Lol
09-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Inactive Account

They aren't supposed to vignette because the shallow parts of the hood are at the corners, but when you turn it so the deep parts are in the corners you may see vignetting.

You could use a 3 in 1 rubber hood like this, it should work well for the 18-55mm range. I don't know the quality of this particular one though.
Camera 52 mm 3 in 1 Collapsible Screw in Lens Hood Cover Sun Shade Filter Thread | eBay
09-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #25
Inactive Account

They aren't supposed to vignette because the shallow parts of the hood are at the corners, but when you turn it so the deep parts are in the corners you may see vignetting.

You could use a 3 in 1 rubber hood like this, it should work well for the 18-55mm range. I don't know the quality of this particular one though.
Camera 52 mm 3 in 1 Collapsible Screw in Lens Hood Cover Sun Shade Filter Thread | eBay
Oh. And the rubber ones work just as well?
09-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh. And the rubber ones work just as well?
There is a whole science of lens hoods. The idea is that it cuts off all the light, except for the frame you are taking a photo of. So in theory, a petal hood can be better because it cuts closer to the frame. Or a square hood. But the hood needs to take into account the focal length and aperture. If you are buying a generic lens hood, it probably isn't designed specifically for your lens, so it wont be "perfect" anyway. The best is if you either
a) buy the genuine hood made for your lens
b) buy an off-brand exact replica
c) buy a generic hood with a specified focal length (keeping in mind crop factor)
d) buy an adjustable hood that you can adjust to fit your lens or zoomed focal length perfectly
e) use a lens hood that is in the general vicinity of your lens. Make sure it is not uselessly wide. And that it is not so tight that it would cause vignetting/darkening of edges.

Circular hoods can be rotated, because it is a circle - the rotation doesnt matter. Petal hoods cannot be rotated as freely, because they do not cut off light equally on all sides.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-24-2013 at 07:34 AM.
09-26-2013, 03:14 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
There is a whole science of lens hoods. The idea is that it cuts off all the light, except for the frame you are taking a photo of. So in theory, a petal hood can be better because it cuts closer to the frame. Or a square hood. But the hood needs to take into account the focal length and aperture. If you are buying a generic lens hood, it probably isn't designed specifically for your lens, so it wont be "perfect" anyway. The best is if you either
a) buy the genuine hood made for your lens
b) buy an off-brand exact replica
c) buy a generic hood with a specified focal length (keeping in mind crop factor)
d) buy an adjustable hood that you can adjust to fit your lens or zoomed focal length perfectly
e) use a lens hood that is in the general vicinity of your lens. Make sure it is not uselessly wide. And that it is not so tight that it would cause vignetting/darkening of edges.

Circular hoods can be rotated, because it is a circle - the rotation doesnt matter. Petal hoods cannot be rotated as freely, because they do not cut off light equally on all sides.

Oh. Thank you for all the help everyone! I'll take into account all these recommendations and order one (or maybe both to test them each out) this week.