Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
dwalker19's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado (Front Range)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 191
Hood vs. CPL filter vs. chubby fingers

Hi - this is definitely a beginner problem, and I apologize if it has been addressed elsewhere. Long story short, I cannot spin my CPL filter with my hood on the lens. I just started using the hood on the lens, as apparently that is a good idea, and it seems impossible to use the filter at the same time. So, do I set the CPL then attache hood; don't use together; or am I missing something/have stubby fingers.
Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions.
DW

09-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
Which lens and hood are you using? Many Pentax hoods have a little access hatch on the bottom just for this purpose.
09-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 328
QuoteOriginally posted by dwalker19 Quote
Hood vs. CPL filter vs. chubby fingers
Hi - this is definitely a beginner problem, and I apologize if it has been addressed elsewhere. Long story short, I cannot spin my CPL filter with my hood on the lens. I just started using the hood on the lens, as apparently that is a good idea, and it seems impossible to use the filter at the same time. So, do I set the CPL then attache hood; don't use together; or am I missing something/have stubby fingers.
Thanks in advance if anyone has suggestions.
DW
Not just a beginner problem DW.
I got round it with a rubber collapsible or metal hood screwed to the filter. Then I turn the whole hood.
09-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 32,701
QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
hood screwed to the filter. Then I turn the whole hood
Now that's what I call a cunning plan, well done, I'd never thought of that one.

09-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,863
Yeah, some lens hoods prevent you from twisting the polarizer.
Some lens hoods have a hatch or an opening.
And some lens hoods can be mounted on the filter and you just twist the whole thing, filter and hood.

Having a lens hood is a good idea, especially for lenses with an exposed front element or with old lens coatings. Some modern lenses have such good coatings that a hood might not make a huge difference, but its still good protection. Some lenses have a recessed front element, so that it naturally has a "hood" on there.
09-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Auckland, New Zealand.
Posts: 328
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Having a lens hood is a good idea, especially for lenses with an exposed front element or with old lens coatings. Some modern lenses have such good coatings that a hood might not make a huge difference, but its still good protection. Some lenses have a recessed front element, so that it naturally has a "hood" on there.
@ DW - Na Horuk makes a good point of the fact a hood can protect the front element from knocks and scraps.
He also touches on the main reason why you should always use a hood - for better images.
09-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
In my opinion, use of a hood will result in much mo improvement in increased contrast than a polarizer

This is especially true shooting close to the sun. A hood, if optimally designed, eliminates light from entering that must be dissipated in the lens baffles. Since that process is never perfect, the less to dissipate the better the contrast.

A polarizer is used to stop reflected glare, not internal flare. Two different issues, two different solutions
09-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
dwalker19's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado (Front Range)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 191
Original Poster
thanks

Glad it is not just me. I have the Tamron 17-50 and 18-200. I don't think they have the access hatch. getting them to turn together would be great, but I think the flower shaped hoods would get in the way.
DW

09-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
The hoods for those are readily available and under $20 each, I'd cut my own access holes.
09-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
dwalker19's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado (Front Range)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 191
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The hoods for those are readily available and under $20 each, I'd cut my own access holes.

I assum you mean to buy the rubber boot style hoods and cut them? I like it.
09-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
I mean the original hoods from Tamron:
Tamron RHAF09 Lens Hood for 28-75mm f/2.8 & 17-50mm RHAFA09
Tamron AD06 Lens Hood for 18-200mm Di-II & 28-300mm RHAFA06
09-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
Site Supporter
dwalker19's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado (Front Range)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 191
Original Poster

I have those, not sure if I could cut them - maybe I will try. As long as I am not missing an obvious solution or was going about this all wrong, this has been a big relief. Now to clean my finger prints off of the filter from trying to get in there....
d
09-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,720
If you have access to a Dremel they would be easy to cut.

This shows how the Pentax hood is, just a rectangular hole on the bottom side of the hood. If you buy a spare set of hoods then you don't have to worry about making some way to cover the hole when you aren't using a CPL, just swap the hoods.
Attached Images
 
09-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
dwalker19's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Colorado (Front Range)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 191
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
If you have access to a Dremel they would be easy to cut.

This shows how the Pentax hood is, just a rectangular hole on the bottom side of the hood. If you buy a spare set of hoods then you don't have to worry about making some way to cover the hole when you aren't using a CPL, just swap the hoods.

Sweet - I will probably give that a try in the coming months. And they are cheap enough to buy a second one to cut up, thanks for the photo.
dw
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,863
Be sure to check if there are some third party hoods available online that already have the hatch. Some Chinese manufacturers make all sorts of hoods. Hope you get what you need
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, cpl, filter, fingers, hood, lens, pentax help, photography, vs
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison; Hood, CPL, ND Filter rbefly Photographic Technique 6 12-12-2012 05:24 PM
46MP's vs. 36 vs.16.3(latter two w/no AA filter)... tabl10s Pentax K-5 3 11-18-2012 12:20 AM
Camera comparison: One X vs Galaxy S II vs Nexus vs N8 vs iPhone 4S jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 04-12-2012 07:41 AM
30 vs 43 vs 55 vs 77 Christmas Bokeh Shoot-out Special! TOUGEFC Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 51 12-16-2011 04:56 PM
77ltd vs Cosina 55 1.2 vs Helios 58 vs Vivitar 28 CF vs DA 35 jsherman999 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-26-2009 12:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top