Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K5 flash sync speed

Just wondering , with the K5 are you stuck @ 1/180 as the fastest possibly sync speed ? ( external flash )

09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, unless you enable high speed sync on the external flash, which fires as a strobe, but with some reduction in range / power.
09-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hmmm , HSS / as strobe , but I thought that the camera would not send out a signal to fire the flash above 1/180 ?

Is there a guide or tutorial ?

I know some other cameras have an option in the menu to increase the sync speed at which the camera will fire the flash , does the K5 offer this ? ( I havent found any such option )
09-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I have very little experience with flashes, but have a look at the flash info that @mattdm has put up:
High-Speed Sync - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

09-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

How to use: Select HS on the flash, use Tv mode (for example) to set the shutter speed as desired. If you go faster than 1/180th then HS will automatically enable. That's it! The only penalty in practice is the 'guide number' of the flash gets reduced.
See pages 31 and 81 of the AF360 manual.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/acc_st_af360fgz.pdf

There isn't an option in-camera to select HS, because the built-in flash doesn't support it, however it does work wirelessly from the built in flash.
09-13-2013, 01:44 AM   #6

The problem with flas sync is not making the flash fire fast enough or at the right time. The problem is making sure that the entire image is exposed during the flash. Fast camera shutters cheat, so regardless of your flash, you won't really get faster than 1/180, unless you have a separate shutter and flash sync (like with the 645 LS lenses).

On the other hand, pentax were able to do faster sync with some of their film cameras in the nineties, and those cameras have larger shutters than the K-5.
09-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #7
Forum Member

It's also worth noting that you don't necessarily need to use HS if the weather is cloudy or you are in the shade where the sun doesn't hit your subject directly, like in a forest. The regular flash will freeze the action anyway regardless, though you might get some "ghosting" if the shutter is below 1/180; this can somewhat be countered with panning.

Also HS is not possible, as far as I know, if you use a trigger set.

09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want flash, without HSS and exposure higher than 1/180 then just get a Q, the internal shutter in the lenses can do 1/2000 and in the Pentax PK/Q adaptor 1/1000
09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
I know some other cameras have an option in the menu to increase the sync speed at which the camera will fire the flash , does the K5 offer this ? ( I havent found any such option )
What most cameras will do is allow the flash to be fired even though the physical sync speed limit has been exceeded.
This can result in the shutter to obscure a portion of the sensor and not allow the flash to fully expose the image.
When used with strobes that have long flash durations and/or with triggers that handle this special case, the effect can be minimized even with exceptionally high shutter speeds.

Sadly, Pentax completely disables the ability to fire the flash via the standard hot-shoe and PC pins when the sync speed is exceeded.
So unless you have a PTTL compatible flash with HighSpeedSync capability, you are simply SOL and limited to the camera's sync speed.
09-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote

Sadly, Pentax completely disables the ability to fire the flash via the standard hot-shoe and PC pins when the sync speed is exceeded.
So unless you have a PTTL compatible flash with HighSpeedSync capability, you are simply SOL and limited to the camera's sync speed.
I have never tried it bu I guess since no one suggests it that the above also applies to using the little sync port on the body a well?
09-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I have never tried it bu I guess since no one suggests it that the above also applies to using the little sync port on the body a well?
Correct, both the center pin on the hotshoe and the PC sync port available on the side of some bodies are also disabled.
09-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by old4570 Quote
Just wondering , with the K5 are you stuck @ 1/180 as the fastest possibly sync speed ? ( external flash )
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/231086-...ml#post2451511
09-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can go to high speed sync, and shoot much faster, if your flash supports HSS
You can switch to film and get a PZ1 that does 1/250 sync,
You can get a q that does 1/2000 sync with the mechanical shutter in the lens
09-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You can go to high speed sync, and shoot much faster, if your flash supports HSS
You can switch to film and get a PZ1 that does 1/250 sync,
You can get a q that does 1/2000 sync with the mechanical shutter in the lens
I think my link talked about HSS (and its limitation), you previously mentioned the other camera bodies earlier in the thread, but OP specifically wanted information on the K-5.
09-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I think my link talked about HSS (and its limitation), you previously mentioned the other camera bodies earlier in the thread, but OP specifically wanted information on the K-5.
To achieve this, he needs a flash with duration longer than 1/100 roughly and trigger it at the same time as the shutter, so the flash is on the whole time the shutter sweeps. The shutter sweep time is relatively constant all that changes above sync is the width if the windor