Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

My K-5 is "clunking", but it's not turned on. Link to video inside.

I noticed in the past couple of days my camera is making some weird noises. I came to this forum and I see the stickied post at the top, and while it sounds related, it's not the same. I've owned my K-5 for almost 2 years and this is something I've never noticed until now. Here is a link to a video that demonstrates what is happening. The camera has a 5 year warranty so it's not a huge issue, but a pain in the ass to be without my camera (it goes everywhere with me). BTW, the camera is off in this video. I would think anything that is supposed to move regarding shake reduction shouldn't move when the camera isn't powered on.

If anyone can give some insight, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chuck

09-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As all the stickies indicate, this is perfectly normal. When the camera is powered off, the sensor floats freely inside.

IDK why you hadn't noticed this earlier, but if the camera is working as it should, I wouldn't worry about the sound.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hmm. The sticky I read mentioned the sound when the camera was turning on. It was also multiple pages of no additional info so it wasn't as clear. Thanks Adam. Sorry for clogging up the forum.
09-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My camera makes exactly the same sound from the day I bought it. Itīs the sensor moving freely as Adam said.
I am more curious of how you just noticed the sound after two years with the camera

09-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
I am more curious of how you just noticed the sound after two years with the camera
+1.
The sound you should hear when powering on the K-5 is more of a fart than a clunk.

PS Nice beard.
09-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
But there is a reason it is making the noise - you are shaking it and something which can move will move and make a noise.

Does it make a noise when you leave it on a solid surface like a bench and watch?
09-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noo, stop shaking it like that, you could brake it. The noise is normal, you shaking it like that is not..

09-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why do people shake their cameras? It just seems odd to me. Or is it just part of a pre-photography session ritual that I should know about?
06-11-2015, 02:39 AM   #9

just pulled my k50 out of the box new... exactly the same noise... turned off.
turns me off too!
you shake your camera because you have common sense!
what I hear is an AF gear and possibly something else...just a guess.
would be an excellent, all be it deceitful, technique for selling an extended warranty on this kind of product!

thanks for your very informative video!
06-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pen pal Quote
just pulled my k50 out of the box new... exactly the same noise... turned off.
turns me off too!
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted above, the sound is the sensor moving freely in its frame. When the body is powered up, the sound goes away as the electromagnets that suspend the sensor come online. All Pentax bodies with SR make that sound and have since the feature was introduced on the K10D in 2007. It used to be that reviewers made a note of it, but for some reason, they quit mentioning the clunk noise a few years ago.

Steve