Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

K30 freezing since firmware update 1.05

Since updating to 1.05 (from 1.02), the camera froze completely 2 or 3 times over the course of 176 shots. This never happened during the previous 3000 shots. It would occasionally lose the ability to autofocus and need to be turned off and on, but it never locked up totally. I had to take the battery out to make it start working again.

So, anyone else having this problem?

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?

09-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by poziax Quote
Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?
No, and the problem is most likely not related to the update. Try fully charging your battery. The freeze issue is common to make Pentax cameras and it typically happens when there's a sudden drop in voltage, for whatever reason.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, and the problem is most likely not related to the update. Try fully charging your battery. The freeze issue is common to make Pentax cameras and it typically happens when there's a sudden drop in voltage, for whatever reason.

I've been using it for a year with no issues, but I guess it could be a battery going bad on me. I'll see if happens with just that battery or all of them.

Thanks for the info. The timing was just very suspicious.
09-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am sorry to tell you but ths becoming a known fault on the k30 there are now a couple of threads on this.
I have just waited 4 weeks to get mine back under warranty repair. it had a new main board fitted and I was told it was a fault previously only known on the older k5 model that used the same component.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/233733-k30-getting-stuck-preview.html

And see post #5 https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/236796-new-firmware.html#post2506745

Last edited by adwb; 09-14-2013 at 12:16 AM.
09-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Banned

Freezing was a problem with the K20 as well, the fix was also a new main board. Seems to me that at least one supplier of boards to Pentax perhaps has sub standard QC proceedures, as the "freezing" seems to be a bit of a problem with each new model release. Wonder if the new K5's, 50's & 500's will sprout some freeze ups as well.
09-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #6

Same problem was with my K5II

I have seen similar problem with my k5-ii when i upgrade my firmware to 1.03. It suddenly stops to auto focus after 10-12 shots. Then i have to remove battery .
In 15 days pentax issue new firmware to solve this problem. Now my camera works fine as before.
09-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #7

I have the same issue since I updated K-30 to 1.05, it was working fantastic before but now it's freezing AF time to time and have to turn it off and on again in order to make it work. After few short again same thing, I don't think it's a battery or power issue because I tried it with a new battery which was fully charged. It seems a software issue and Pentax should take action rapidly.
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
So I still have firmware 1.04 saved to my computer hard drive. If update 1.05 causes my camera to have problems, could I save 1.04 to a blank sd card and run it just like a normal update and "downgrade" the firmware? Has anyone ever tried this? I haven't had any problems with my K30 yet and don't want to risk ruining my camera.

10-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can't roll back unfortunately
10-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter

No issues with K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Freezing was a problem with the K20 as well, the fix was also a new main board. Seems to me that at least one supplier of boards to Pentax perhaps has sub standard QC proceedures, as the "freezing" seems to be a bit of a problem with each new model release. Wonder if the new K5's, 50's & 500's will sprout some freeze ups as well.
There were no issues with freezing with the K20D. It was one Pentax dSLR that had no issues. In my strong IMO the most reliable body made. Perhaps not beyond what would be normal of the best dSLRs made. But even Nikon has its share of problems. Pentax issues with the bodies started latter than the K20D types. I have one to, with well over 50,000 pics and its never froze or acted strange, never ever.I know my personal experience can't speak for all. And I am a happy K5 owner. But have to set it straight. BTW my K5 has never acted strange. However my first dSLR the Samsung GX10 (same as Pentax K10D) did freeze once or twice. It died and its replacement never froze. I think it can be an issue as in SDM focus systems in older Pentax lens or just bad luck. Which I have had to.

Here is a poll to help show what I say. Almost 90% of owners never had problems, about 5% with problems.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/54117-poll-k20d-freeze-ups.html

Last edited by jamesm007; 10-05-2013 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Include Poll and clairity
10-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Greetings All,, been watching this thread for a couple reasons. Over the past decades i have been a Minolta / Sony man. One night All my camera gear was stolen out of my car in my own driveway. Nither auto or home insurance would cover it. So i had to start a new, but since Sony has gone to all digital viewfinders, (in the camera that i can afford), I have had to say goodby to Sony, because i just feel disconnected from the subject when viewing it through a digital screen. So I decided to go with Pentax as my new Brand. After some research i decided on a new Pentax k-30.

Now i just got the camera and am learning its various features and menus and i notice the firmware is 1.01 so i have a couple of questions.
I mainly shoot AP center point AF. I don't bother with Face recognition. and quite often use manual focus.

But my questions are these:
#1 Is there really an advantage to upgrading the firmware from 1.01?

#2 Which setup actually draws more "power" current or voltage from the camera? The HSM or SDM focus system or the old in-camera focus drive motor? I mean obviously any slow lens is going to hunt more and thus draw more power. In such a case, which lens focus system drains the battery faster?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
10-12-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
There were no issues with freezing with the K20D. It was one Pentax dSLR that had no issues. In my strong IMO the most reliable body made. Perhaps not beyond what would be normal of the best dSLRs made. But even Nikon has its share of problems. Pentax issues with the bodies started latter than the K20D types. I have one to, with well over 50,000 pics and its never froze or acted strange, never ever.I know my personal experience can't speak for all. And I am a happy K5 owner. But have to set it straight. BTW my K5 has never acted strange. However my first dSLR the Samsung GX10 (same as Pentax K10D) did freeze once or twice. It died and its replacement never froze. I think it can be an issue as in SDM focus systems in older Pentax lens or just bad luck. Which I have had to.

Here is a poll to help show what I say. Almost 90% of owners never had problems, about 5% with problems.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/54117-poll-k20d-freeze-ups.html

Just because you had no problems, that doesn't mean there were none! Polls prove nothing, I'm sure a vast majority of K20 owners aren't even aware this site exists, let alone that there's a poll about freeze ups!
Mine indeed had many "freeze ups" that were caused by a bad main board, which Pentax replaced, never once had the problem since.

I've had no such problems with my K30, but I wouldn't issue a blanket statement saying there's no problems with it because obviously some people are having issues!

BTW, check your math, if 90% had no problem, that means 10 % did. 10% is a pretty significant number when you're talking perhaps millions of units sold worldwide, I'd call that an issue!
02-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
On my k30 I have actually gone from firmware 1.04 to 1.05, reinstalled 1.05, then back to 1.04 (which I still had saved on my computer), then back to 1.05 again. It is possible to successfully downgrade firmware with the K30. Unfortunately all this jumping around did not fix a pop up flash issue I am having, but I figured this info may be useful to those wanting to downgrade firmware.