Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

another newbie question

I was wondering how long after expiration dates are you able to use film if it had been stored in a freezer. I just got a camera and there was a tone of film with it and most had "expired" but some as recently as feb of this year and some december of last year? worth the risk to use or go out and buy all new stuff?

03-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Run a roll of inconsequential shots through and have it developed to find out if you want to try and use the film, otherwise buy new to be sure. That is about all I can tell you. When I was young I'd shoot with expired film just because I could get it cheap at the local photo store.
03-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are probably OK if it is just a few months, as long as no one left it in their car in the south in the sun for 2-3 days.
03-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #4

Film stored in a freezer can be used a long time after its expiry date. The rate of deterioration at very low temperatures is extremely slow and even stuff stored stored at room temperature is generally good well after its date. If you do a search here or on any film forum I guarantee you will find accounts of people using truly ancient film stock and getting excellent results.

Matthew