Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MX1

Hello.

I've been trying to save up for and decide on a travel camera, between a LX7, RX100 and X20. Have had hands all 3 cameras but just could not make up my mind. Found a shop with a MX1 on display(which is very unusual in my neck of the woods). Had a little play with and now I think my mind is made up. Go for The MX1. Anybodys comments welcome as to whether I've made the right decision. I'm not asking for a decision to be made for me, its just that if you read any reviews, for arguments sake, MX1 vs whatever, the MX1 comes off second best. Most testers are pro Canikonyji (My short for canon nikon sony and fuji) While I'm sure these are very good cameras, the MX1 just seemed to oooze quality in the hand. Sadly, I don't have my own photo samples to look at on my PC. Plenty of time to go. Still well short in funds. Thanks in advance.

09-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I had a similar choice to make, and went for the X20. Viewfinder and zoom lens were the deciders over IQ.

I take it with me now just about everywhere I go, whereas with my Pentax kit it's only leaving the house on pre-planned excursions.

The X20 has put the spontaneity back into my photography.

It's not perfect, but I have no regrets.

PS. Don't ignore the Ricoh GR.
09-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geoffw Quote
Hello.

I've been trying to save up for and decide on a travel camera, between a LX7, RX100 and X20. Have had hands all 3 cameras but just could not make up my mind. Found a shop with a MX1 on display(which is very unusual in my neck of the woods). Had a little play with and now I think my mind is made up. Go for The MX1. Anybodys comments welcome as to whether I've made the right decision. I'm not asking for a decision to be made for me, its just that if you read any reviews, for arguments sake, MX1 vs whatever, the MX1 comes off second best. Most testers are pro Canikonyji (My short for canon nikon sony and fuji) While I'm sure these are very good cameras, the MX1 just seemed to oooze quality in the hand. Sadly, I don't have my own photo samples to look at on my PC. Plenty of time to go. Still well short in funds. Thanks in advance.
Are you a RAW shooter? If so, steer clear of the MX-1. Otherwise it's not too shabby, but keep in mind that it's only got a 1/1.7" sensor, which has its limitations compared to the other cameras you're considering.

We have a detailed (and in my opinion, fair) review of the MX-1 on our homepage. It should help answer any questions or doubts that you may have about the camera.
Pentax MX-1 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-14-2013, 03:59 AM   #4

chiming in

About what John X shard, "PS. Don't ignore the Ricoh GR."
I read at least three different reputable reviews about the Ricoh GR and just want to add that I gleaned that the video capabilities of the GR are lacking stabilization and overall quality. (I can't find the one review that really pointed out the significant probs with video atm).
Anyway that knocked it out of the running for me is all. Though second thoughts tell me the significant photo quality could if I really wanted it justify an override.
Since last year my travel P&S vacation-not-going-to-cry-hard-if-I-lose-or-break-it-camera is a Canon S100.
But I likey likey the GR...
anyway, here's an interesting link
Best advanced compact cameras - Digital Compact Cameras

09-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say it depends on what is important to you. I purchased one in August when the price hit $400 as an option when I really need to travel light. I'm writing a review on it that should be up soon. Mostly I agree with Adam's assessment.

I am a RAW shooter, and I am very pleased by the image quality of the MX-1. The moveable LCD screen is a nice feature. The build quality is great, and I like the fact that the menu system is familiar to me. The weight and feel of the camera is just about perfect for me.

However, the time it takes to write a file to the card is ridiculously long. The camera never should have been released with this flaw (I keep hoping for a firmware update to fix this). The strap lugs are located in a spot that does not allow the camera to balance properly when hanging which is very uncomfortable.

I haven't used a Fuji X20, but right now I am wishing I had bought that instead for the optical viewfinder and manual zoom.

Kevin
09-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I had a similar choice to make, and went for the X20. Viewfinder and zoom lens were the deciders over IQ.

I take it with me now just about everywhere I go, whereas with my Pentax kit it's only leaving the house on pre-planned excursions.

The X20 has put the spontaneity back into my photography.

It's not perfect, but I have no regrets

PS. Don't ignore the Ricoh GR.

Thanks John. It was the X10 that made me think about a travel camera. But then I noticed others on the market worthy of looking at. The GR out of my price range if I'm honest.
09-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you a RAW shooter? If so, steer clear of the MX-1. Otherwise it's not too shabby, but keep in mind that it's only got a 1/1.7" sensor, which has its limitations compared to the other cameras you're considering.

We have a detailed (and in my opinion, fair) review of the MX-1 on our homepage. It should help answer any questions or doubts that you may have about the camera.
Pentax MX-1 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Thank you Adam. I shoot RAW sometimes and I must admit the sensor size has made me wonder if it would be an issue when I've seen it compared to other sizes. Ideally I would like to compare it to my dslr if only to see how difference there is. Will look at the review soon.

09-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks all for your replies. I'm back in the land of dilema. If cameras were like cars where you could opt for a base spec, then add the extras, or have an engine you want instead of having things that you probably would not use, I think it would make camera choice easier. By writing this you all now know I live in the land of Stupid. But if the hat fits....... as they say. Anyway, I'm still saving and I have no doubt that one or two more cameras will be added to the mix by the time I've got enough to buy. In the mean time, I'm with my K200d+other kit. Another plus point of the MX1, I can still submit photos for the Photo Gallery Artist page I suppose. I'll do another post of what I get and why later. Thanks all again. Geoff.