Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Embedded Digital Info - what are the options

Good Morning!

I hope this is not a silly question. I never paid to much attention to this as I in the past few years just had 1-2 lenses and did not really switch lenses. But now I am getting more into playing around with my cameras and photography.

On my K30 I am starting to play around with different lenses. I am curious if there is a way to have lens type show up on my digital pics info. Currently it has camera type, things like ISO and aperture. But I am starting to get confused on which shots I took with which lens....which would be helpful as I am laying around and figuring out what I like and learning purposes.

Is there a setting in the K30 menu to add this or is this in the software that I use to view and edit my photos?

Thanks!
Carol

09-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on the lens. With many lenses the information is already there embedded within the EXIF. The reason why I say many lenses (essentially the more modern lenses - F, FA, DA, DFA, etc.) is that for the older lenses - M42, K, M, A the interface that identifies the lens was not there.

If you use an EXIF reader like PhotoMe (a free down load), you display all the information.... and yes, for the older lenses it would be nice to have something like that. I have several older lenses that are the same focal length and it would be nice to have the images already tagged with the information.

09-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
It depends on the lens. With many lenses the information is already there embedded within the EXIF. The reason why I say many lenses (essentially the more modern lenses - F, FA, DA, DFA, etc.) is that for the older lenses - M42, K, M, A the interface that identifies the lens was not there.

If you use an EXIF reader like PhotoMe (a free down load), you display all the information.... and yes, for the older lenses it would be nice to have something like that. I have several older lenses that are the same focal length and it would be nice to have the images already tagged with the information.

Ok - that makes sense I guess.
I am on a mac - anyone know of a photome for mac? I found a thread here but it was 2009 so I am sure that is out of date and some of the links to suggestions did not work....
09-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cperry Quote
Ok - that makes sense I guess.
I am on a mac - anyone know of a photome for mac? I found a thread here but it was 2009 so I am sure that is out of date and some of the links to suggestions did not work....
If your mac came with iPhoto, then you should have a way to see the EXIF information in there. I think that there should be some "inspector" somewhere, that brings up that information, probably an icon with a blue circle with a big white i in it .

09-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
If your mac came with iPhoto, then you should have a way to see the EXIF information in there. I think that there should be some "inspector" somewhere, that brings up that information, probably an icon with a blue circle with a big white i in it .
Yes - I see that but does not have lens info.....at least on ones that I can get that info......now that I know it is possible in some cases. Oh well! Thanks!
09-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

There is a Mac version of ExifTool:

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

I don't know about Mac-version, but the Windows executable is very simpleand easy to use.
09-14-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

For manual lenses, the focal length that you use for SR is used in the EXIF focal length field. When I'm testing lenses, I often have a box of six lenses of the same focal length. I put post-it notes on the target when I change lenses.

Maybe use the old lens to take a photo of the new lens before changing?

I know a lot of software doesn't let you type your own data into EXIF. That's annoying.