Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
checking what color profile a shot was taken in

Just today I noticed that I have been shooting everything in sRGB on my K-30 so i switched it over to Adobe RGB with the understanding that its a wider (and generally better) color palette. My question is how can i tell what colour profile a shot was taken in, when i tried to open up one of the shots from today in camera raw and then open afterwards in photoshop it popped up a warning saying the file was in adobe RGB while my photoshop desktop was set for sRGB i switched photoshop over so this was ok but when looking at the "file info" in photoshop or just in windows explorer I can see no mention of the color space that the photo was taken in. where is this information kept and what program should i use to check it?

09-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The file names should be different, IMGP####.JPG for sRGB and _IGP####.JPG for AdobeRGB.
09-14-2013, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think most software will not care about the colour space and will automatically adjust. But I suggest you stick with sRGB, because it is the modern standard. A lot of browsers and websites will automatically try to convert uploaded jpegs to sRGB if they aren't in sRGB. But when they do that, they can ruin the colours/sharpness. And there were user reports that people had problem with browsers (firefox) displaying jpegs in non-sRGB.
Its better to have the same colour space throughout, from taking the photo to processing it to uploading/sharing it. And keeping it sRGB will prevent problems down the line, when people try to view it.
Of course, colour spaces like Adobe RGB or ProRGB or whatever, can have their use. But usually dependent on print method. I would advise to only use them if you need to, if you know what you are doing.

Edit: You can also work in certain colour space and select sRGB only when you export a jpeg that you want to share.
09-14-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MADDSNIPER Quote
Just today I noticed that I have been shooting everything in sRGB on my K-30 so i switched it over to Adobe RGB with the understanding that its a wider (and generally better) color palette...
I think that's true but lots of stuff (your monitor, web browser, massmarket printer) might not understand anything but sRGB. Using one color space from start to finish is good, so if you know you can take it, edit it and display it in AdobeRGB, that should be fine. You may have trouble with conversions along the chain. I stick with sRGB because that's the lazy default for everything.

You can switch the color space for a RAW file in Adobe Camera RAW so it's not necessary to decide at capture time.