Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Amazon.com: Thread Restoring File for Metric Threads: Sports & Outdoors

09-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have a good tool shop nearby, they may chase them for you for free.
09-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Hey everyone,

Second problem-- Looking at the adapter, the screw that holds the clip in place screws right through the ring, and blocks the threads. These are totally unusable without removing the clip bit.

Has anyone else had issues like this with this seller or cheap adapters in general?
I have 4 or 5 of these cheap adapters and I also had my Super Takumar got stuck once, the protruding screw was the culprit, since then I either remove the clip altogether or make sure that the screw is not sticking out through the inner threads. Other than the screw issue I don't think it is anyway different from the OEM adapter. I never had to use my OEM adapter which I bought from Adorama.
09-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is perhaps a sad statement that this issue has been reported continually over the years in the forums.

The real point that most people make is that when ever you are pitting anything new on your camera yu need to inspect it first, the cheap adaptors work just fine as long as you are careful to look at all the aspects.

Not just the screw, although that is the worst culprit , but also the spring clip, to make sure it is seated properly, these can stick up past the face of the munt and bind on your lens, causing it to get bent and therefore making it difficult to remove an adaptor later, as well as putting a nice scratch in the base of the lens mount. I have also seen adaptors where there is maching swarf hanging from the adaptors which after a few installs can fall off and go into the camera.

It is a case of preparing them before use. Replacing the longer screw withi a shorter one ect....

As somebody else said, buying sheep means you need to do some of the work the maker should have done

09-15-2013, 05:32 AM   #20

I nearly wrecked a camera body trying to get a cheap adapter off of it. The OEM works perfectly and be attaching it to the body as designed, one doesn't need a different one for every lens. So I got one OEM one for $32 instead of a bunch of crappy $10 ones. I saved money and am worry-free.

Also, you are rewarding the people that make good ones. Why support a lousy product and it's makers and sellers?
09-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter

That's actually not too bad. Thank you, China.
09-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Hint: Next time, get a cheap parts camera with a K-mount, and use it just for testing stuff on it.
I use a K-mount extension ring for that kind of testing.
It has the advantage that you can look in from the back end as well.
09-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Totally agree with Adam, buy the original adapter. Same for battery grips and battery holders.
Read the dreadful stories on PentaxForums!

Pentax K-Adapter.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 09-15-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Photo added.
09-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
I nearly wrecked a camera body trying to get a cheap adapter off of it. The OEM works perfectly and be attaching it to the body as designed, one doesn't need a different one for every lens. So I got one OEM one for $32 instead of a bunch of crappy $10 ones. I saved money and am worry-free.

Also, you are rewarding the people that make good ones. Why support a lousy product and it's makers and sellers?
If you regularly switch between M42 and K mount lenses, the original is not very convenient. That is why I opted for multiple adapters with the clips removed.
09-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips on chasing or filing threads-- I basically filed off the burrs with a tiny file, and it threads on decently smooth. Unfortunately, there's not as much bite and it's a bit loose. I don't think chasing it would do much to help.

I've been in contact with the seller, and based off of what I think they are saying (they have VERY poor English), they have no idea where the adapters really come from-- there are different suppliers and factories that they sell for, but don't track much of where their stuff comes from. Sometimes I think there should be an English literacy test to be able to sell items in the USA on eBay.

Good tips on removing the screw and putting a smaller one in there, too. I'll try that next time, or at least file it down so it doesn't interfere.

Thanks, everyone!
09-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
...they have no idea where the adapters really come from-- there are different suppliers and factories...
A point that cannot be made too strongly. This is the case for most of the third party adapters with the possible exception of Fotodiox and definite exception of SRB Griturn. That is why positive testimonials for a particular brand (e.g. Bower) should be taken with a grain of salt.

Steve