Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K200D good for manual?

I was considering picking up a K200D and using it with my manual focus k lenses. Is the k200d capable of this readily (focusing possible with no additional items, for example)?

09-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
I was considering picking up a K200D and using it with my manual focus k lenses. Is the k200d capable of this readily (focusing possible with no additional items, for example)?
Yes, I think so. I haven't altered my K200D, yet for some reason I get better results with it (using MF lenses) than my K-5. I think the CCD sensor gives a nice, complimentary appearance, but I also seem to get better focused pictures (perhaps partly helped by the fact that it's 10MP vs. 16MP, and partly by the way the sensor's implemented in the K200D).
09-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Any Pentax DSLR will do, as there really isn't much of a different with how manual lenses are handled. You don't need any adapters with the K200D or any other Pentax DSLR. Here are the steps to follow to use manual lenses:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-15-2013, 04:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes. Some claim that the finder (penta-mirror rather than penta-prism) is a bit dark for manual focusing, but I have never considered that a problem. Add to that that you will have focus confirmation (green hexagon light and an audible beep) and that you can have cath-in-focus ('focus trap') if you so wish (: with the camera body AF/MF switch set to AF and the AF mode set to AF.S).

Some non-Pentax K-mount lenses may have black anodized mounts that will require som sanding to get electrical contact to the camera body, but all in all i have been (and still am) very happy with my combination of manual lenses+K200D.

09-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Yes. Some claim that the finder (penta-mirror rather than penta-prism) is a bit dark for manual focusing, but I have never considered that a problem. Add to that that you will have focus confirmation (green hexagon light and an audible beep) and that you can have cath-in-focus ('focus trap') if you so wish (: with the camera body AF/MF switch set to AF and the AF mode set to AF.S).

Some non-Pentax K-mount lenses may have black anodized mounts that will require som sanding to get electrical contact to the camera body, but all in all i have been (and still am) very happy with my combination of manual lenses+K200D.
Thanks, that is the sort of concern I have, with the finder. I believe the K10d had replacement screens for manual focusing.
09-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, that is the sort of concern I have, with the finder. I believe the K10d had replacement screens for manual focusing.
This is also an option (and a recommendation) you have with the K200. Since I use several manual focus lenses I have replaced the standard screens on all my Pentax DSLRs including the K200.
09-15-2013, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Manually focused on my K200D with an old cheap 70-300mm manual zoom.

The original

The cropped version

A lot more examples at 2011 Madison Regatta Sunday 7-3-2011 Photos by kkoether61 | Photobucket

09-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just conducted a short double-blind study with a *ist DS (prism) and a *ist DL (mirrors) to see if I could tell which camera had the pentaprism. Both cameras had the stock focus screen installed and a Pentax-M 50mm f2 lens mounted. I had my wife hand me the cameras while my eyes were closed, and gave my first impression about what camera it was. The cameras had no batteries so I couldn't see the slight differences in the displays. We did it a couple of times in a darker room and a couple of times in a brighter room. I was wrong 25% of the time and mostly had to guess. The difference is there but really small. The prism has some weight to it at the top of the camera, so even though these models are nearly identical, the weight difference might have tipped me off more than the viewfinder.
09-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love using my manual lenses! My absolute favorite is the Sears kr 60-300 macro. works fine on my K100d, so a K200d should be even better! The only I tried that didn't work was changing the focus screen. i bought a really cheap one and ended up taking it back out cus it was junk. So if you do that don't cheap out, go for a good one.
Joel

Last edited by Joel B; 09-16-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: still can't type
09-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just conducted a short double-blind study with a *ist DS (prism) and a *ist DL (mirrors) to see if I could tell which camera had the pentaprism. Both cameras had the stock focus screen installed and a Pentax-M 50mm f2 lens mounted. I had my wife hand me the cameras while my eyes were closed, and gave my first impression about what camera it was. The cameras had no batteries so I couldn't see the slight differences in the displays. We did it a couple of times in a darker room and a couple of times in a brighter room. I was wrong 25% of the time and mostly had to guess. The difference is there but really small. The prism has some weight to it at the top of the camera, so even though these models are nearly identical, the weight difference might have tipped me off more than the viewfinder.
Very helpful, thank you. Exactly the sort of information I was interested in.
09-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there are two major considerations for manual controls. The pentaprism vs. mirror giving better viewfinder performance is one. Two control wheels on the K10/K20 etc. vs the K200 is the other. When you have an A or later series lens mounted you can control aperture with one wheel and shutter speed and ISO with the other. It's a lot more convenient. If you don't have auto-aperture lenses it may not matter too much.

I have a K10 with a split-focus screen, it is very convenient for manual use, as you can imagine.
09-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@TER-OR
QuoteQuote:
"When you have an A or later series lens mounted you can control aperture with one wheel and shutter speed and ISO with the other. It's a lot more convenient."
I read this very often on this forum, but I am not sure I understand it.
It wouldn't make sense for me to use both wheels at the same time and still have a good grip on the body, so there would always be a switching between using the two wheels.

And I have set my K200D to be used for either aperture or shutter speed, depending on whether the EV button is pressed or not. Because of this usage, Pentax placed the EV button directly near the shutter actuation - shift your finger just some millimeters (a much better design than with some other Pentax DSLRs).

EV settings are not supported in M mode anyway, and the usage of TWO wheels would only be needed in M mode. So there is no conflict

I doubt I could work any faster, or get improved control with two wheels.

EDIT: I remember I tried controlling aperture (with the lens' aperture ring) and the exposure time with the tip buttons of the ME Super at the same time to be faster - I stopped this experiment. Photographing with manual metering is not something to rush. If time is important, one can always use P, Tv, Av...

EDIT 2: I never set the wheel to ISO, just because the difference between ISO100/200 and 400-800 is extremly big (noise). I use only ISO100, because that's where the K200 shines, end equals IQ of bodies with 50% more pixels. In rare cases I may use AutoISO limited to ISO200. If, for some reason, I must use high ISO (no flash, no tripod), I set the camera to Sv. I don't like it, because it means a lot of work in post. But 2 wheels wouldn't help either.

Last edited by RKKS08; 09-17-2013 at 01:51 PM.
09-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
TBH, I want to do manual everything, still. Half the reason I want a digital camera is for modeling lighting for portraiture with my film cameras, anyhow. I'm tempted to just get a(n) *ist but if I'm spending the money...