Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

K30 JPEG settings to Raw with Silkypix

I thought I could use the Silkpix software that came with my K30 to apply the camera's JPEG settings (sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc.) to a RAW (dng) file, but I can't find how to do it. I want to experiment with various settings to find the settings I want to use for shooting JPEGs.

Can anyone please tell me how to use the software for that purpose or least get me started. If you can point me in the right direction I may be able to take it from there.

Tim

09-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Not sure if this will be of use to you but a google search came up with the following listing. The first item in the list is a PDF manual for Silkypix 3.0. You can click on the link and downlaod the PDF file to see if it is of help.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=silkypix+3.0+user+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls...cPqd7ZBYTjgYAP

Regards
09-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluenose Quote
Not sure if this will be of use to you but a google search came up with the following listing. The first item in the list is a PDF manual for Silkypix 3.0. You can click on the link and downlaod the PDF file to see if it is of help.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=silkypix+3.0+user+guide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls...cPqd7ZBYTjgYAP

Regards
Thanks bluenose. I have the manual and so far can't find anything that helps.

Tim
09-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Forum Member

Silky pix

I'd offer some help but .. I'm finding Silky pix, as supplied with my Pentax bodies, is a sad and slow performer on my mac, often crashing before I can accomplish anything.
LR, Photoshop and everything else just fly on my i7 machine w 20G of RAM.

09-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am too lazy to check it at the Ricoh Imaging website, but I think with a K-30 you should have the "Pentax Digital Camera Utility Version 4.40 by Silkypix".

On the disk there will probably be 4.0 or 4.1, but you can download 4.40 from the website. To install it, an earlier 4.x version must already be installed, or the disk with the older 4.x must be in your drive for a check.

If you still have a version 3.x - this is based on a much older Silkypix software, has much less options, is very slow and driving even a high end machine to its limits, and has never heard about user friendly front ends. With 3.x I cannot help you now, as it is only on one of my computers, to which I don't have access at the moment.

V4.x is not bad, and should offer everything the camera offers and much, much more. I cannot compare directly with you, as I use the German version, and all the texts are different.
But in any case you can customize the front end. I use a browser on the left top, histograms below, picture display center top (with file functions below), and all the many many twists in two blocks on the right third of the screen. There I can mod everything that can be done in the camera, including lens corrections (important if your body doesn't support it), but with way more options

I only own a K200D, which was delivered with 3.x, which I found very near to unusable.
So I bought a PDU4 disk from someone who owns several K-5 bodies, and found it is not bad.

Just a warning: In Germany there were recently several magazines with included DVDs where one could find "Silkypix Elements". This is a rather basic editor for JPGs. This version can also be bought in my country for presently €29. But RAW conversion is only included in a more expensive version.
09-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The camera JPEG settings at time of exposure are embedded into the raw file. When PDCU (Pentax Digital Camera Utility aka silkypix) opens the raw file, it imports those JPEG settings automatically and uses them as the development starting point. You don't have to take any particular action to achieve this, just open the raw file.

You'll notice this behaviour by going to the custom image tab (I think it was) in PDCU. That tab contains options and sliders that mirror the camera jpeg options like landscape, vibrant, contrast, hue, that stuff. What you set in camera before the shot, you'll see there in PDCU.

It's the same for the white balance and the shadow correction options on the neighbour tabs in PDCU.

Regards,
--Anders.