Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

FA80-320mm vs K20D

hello ,
following the user manual of my K20D all he FA lens are 100% compatible . However i am facing a problem with a
FA80-320 mm (2nd hand) which looks to be only partially recognized by my K20D ...... it seems to me that this lens has a problem ? My K20D seems to no recognize the diafragm as the F ..:.. stays flashing when i power on my K20D with that lens
mounted .
who can confirm me that a new FA80-320mm will work perfectly with my K20D (as i really appreciate the capabilities of this lens)
If the answer is NO , then is there a SIGMA lens with same profile ?

thanks in advance

09-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens should be compatible. Did you remember to set the aperture ring to "A"? If so, then try cleaning the lens contacts.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your message
indeed apperture has been set to A , and contact have been cleaned several time on both K20D body and lens ones ... Lens is partially recognized bcse
when pushing the info button the body tells me well that the focal is so or so ..... but autofocus does not work . I went to the shop where i get the K20D & the guy told me that it is most probably the electronic inside the lens that does not talk well to he body .... He told me as well that repairing such problem will probably cost more than the value of the lens .... shame that apparently Pentax lens catalog does not have comparable lens anymore .... therefore i am looking to SIGMA ones ....if any?
regards
09-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Well, the guy at the shop is half correct. If the lens is damaged, it would be cheaper to buy another used one than it would be to repair it. However, he is incorrect in his assumption that the lens and the body don't communicate well.

The power zoom function, autofocus, and auto-aperture of the Fa 80-320mm should function flawlessly on the K20d. Either the lens is damaged or there is some kind of user error. (Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, myself included).

Before 'calling it quits' on your lens, try these steps:

1) To engage the automatic aperture, make sure that you depress the little button near the letter A on the aperture ring of your lens while you turn the ring clockwise. It will make a slight 'click' noise and then the aperture ring will resist further turning until that same little button is depressed again.

2) To engage autofocus, make sure that the autofocus selection knob on the front of the camera is either on AF-s or AF-c.

If the problem still persists, and your other autofocus lenses work on your k20d without any problem, I would have to conclude that the lens is indeed damaged somehow.

Hope that it ends up working for you! If not, several sigma lenses that are near this focal length can be reviewed here: Sigma Lenses for Pentax: Current Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Best wishes

09-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The FA 80-320 will work fully with a K20d, I would try cleaning the lens contacts.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
The power zoom function, autofocus, and auto-aperture of the Fa 80-320mm should function flawlessly on the K20d. Either the lens is damaged or there is some kind of user error. (Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, myself included).
The FA 80-320 is not a power zoom lens.
09-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a FA 80-320, and it works fine on my K10 and K7. If yours is damaged, KEH has one for sale in EX condition.

http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Autofocus-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-AP07999029516N?r=FE
09-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
The FA 80-320 is not a power zoom lens.
True, my mistake.
09-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by erikvanwall Quote
hello ,
However i am facing a problem with a
FA80-320 mm (2nd hand) which looks to be only partially recognized by my K20D ...... it seems to me that this lens has a problem ? My K20D seems to no recognize the diafragm as the F ..:.. stays flashing when i power on my K20D with that lens
mounted .
The black copies of that lens are known for the problem you describe. Its in the electrics of the lens.
And of course repairs would cost more than the lens is worth.
Best to return for refund if possible.
g/l