Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Moving to Tropics - Preventing Fungus?

Hi All,

I will be moving to Cambodia for work next week from Canada. I have travelled in the tropics before with my gear but seeing as I will be living there now I feel I need to take some precautions to protect the condition of my lenses and gear.

I have read about a few suggestions. I have little space to carry extra items and a small budget. I ended up buying some 3 gram indicating silica gel packs and some large freezer ziplock bags. My usual storage bag is a Crumpler "The Five Million Dollar Home"

I intend to put my lenses (inside thier pouches) in ziplocks along with a silica gel packet. Is this a good practice? Anything I need to be aware of? It is unlikely that I will have AC and it will be quite humid. I know about going from AC rooms to outside and back and will be careful with condensation. I am also aware of theft etc, concerns.

Any tips, ideas or best practices I should know to avoid fungus etc?

Thanks!

09-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I use 2 of these in a Pelican 1450, and monitor the humidity with a meter. Usually when I open the case (after it has been closed for a few hours) the measurement is 40%-60%, which I understand kills any fungus. You can probably use any air-tight container.

Best wishes,
Manuel
09-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
indicating silica gel
As I understand it, indicating silica gel cannot be reconstituted. Therefore I think the normal silica gel could be a better idea. Also a good stand alone camera gear insurance (theft, loss damage) would be a good thing to have and make sure Cambodia is covered under it.

No AC ? - Good luck.

Greetings
09-22-2013, 02:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Actually it can brand depending. I do it all the time. I buy it in quarts on Amazon and put it in the oven when it needs a refresh. I get about 5 times out of each quart then I have to replace it.

09-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
indicating silica gel cannot be reconstituted
That one shown in the picture looks very similar to the ones I bought directly from Pelican, which say on the tin "when clear, reactivate 3 hours at 300 F".

So far they've always done a good job for me.
09-22-2013, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Use a fan. The dark, damp, stagnant places grow fungus. Keep your lenses in areas with ventilation and put the fan on/around them.

If you want to go an extra step use a dehumidifier. Put the camera gear in a enclosed space (like a safe) and have the dehumidifier in there. They are used in gun safes... but they have multiple uses...

For $16 bucks it can't hurt.

GoldenRod GunSaver Dehumidifier Rod 110v
09-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

An electric dehumidifier dry-cabinet is a must in the long term.
The box+ silica gel can tide you over till you get one.

You need to keep your stuff in a well ventilated and not too dark place.

09-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You definitely don't want to put your lenses inside a ziplock bag, even with silica inside. All you'll get is condensation inside the lenses if the air is 80-90% humidity (not unusual in those places).

You can keep them on your bag as usual, just make sure you store in a bright and well ventilated place when you get home. You may store inside a cabinet with an incandescent lamp (or if you want to get fancy, a sterilizer UV-C lamp, if you can get one).
09-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the tips. I will see what I can do when I get there.

Keep them coming