Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #1

k5 slow write times

I have a new (used) k5, and the write times are abnormally slow (about 3 secs). Whether I have 4gb or 16gb card in, and whether I'm using RAW of JPEG, doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone else run across this? Is this normal for the k5, or is there something wrong? And if so, is there an obvious fix?

Also, while I'm at it, the volume on the camera in playback mode seems awfully quiet, even when turned up to the max. What's up with that? Thanks.

09-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two main causes of slow write up:

*In-camera computations: e.g. lens distortion correction, high ISO noise correction, ...

*Damaged card.

Since your camera is new, go to the menu and switch off of the in-camera processing. Also switch off instant preview. All these should do the job hopefully.

Hope that the comment will help.
09-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Usually it is the lens correction or shadow/highlight correction that causes this. High ISO for long exposures if that is turned on. Instant preview doesn't slow it down that I know of...
09-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Class 10 card + no in camera corrections = problem solved

09-21-2013, 03:48 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by malibru Quote
I have a new (used) k5, and the write times are abnormally slow (about 3 secs). Whether I have 4gb or 16gb card in, and whether I'm using RAW of JPEG, doesn't seem to matter. Has anyone else run across this? Is this normal for the k5, or is there something wrong? And if so, is there an obvious fix?

Also, while I'm at it, the volume on the camera in playback mode seems awfully quiet, even when turned up to the max. What's up with that? Thanks.
My K5 is okay at writing but deleting is quite slow (on a 8GB SanDisk Extreme III card). Seems normal?
09-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The greatest issues pertaining to write time (assuming good card) a lens correction and noise reduction. Noise reduction ( at slow shutter speeds) takes as long as shutter speed to correct because it takes a second "exposure" with the shutter closed. Lens correction can take a ton of time ass well as can HDR if you have it on by mistake
09-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you, all. Made the suggested changes and it worked. Really appreciate it.