Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs Firmware Update - A Coincidence / Draw your own conclusion

ok guys , this has got me really puzzled ,

Friday night , I downloaded the windows/Mccintosh Firmware for K-5 II s and copied the .bin file on my spare memory card,

inserted the meomry card into the card slot and followed all the steps neccessary to update the firmware.

Once completed , I turned the unit off and back on the confirmed the new Firmware was updated to Ver 1.05.

Saturday morning I was booked into a Studio photography workshop, once I arrived , we helped set up the studio lighting and I asked one of the Female Photogs to take

a photo of me with my camera to check the lightin and flash power was ok.

one shot and the camera decided it didn't want to fire anymore shots.

Mirror would not swing up by pressing the shutter Nor would Hitting Liveview displayed the image.

So thinking it may be my batteries , I swapped the batteries with ones I had fully charged from the Night Before and still nothing.

the Camera would not fire a single shot ?? very strange . I had tested it the Night before post updating the Firmware and it was worked fine

so I borrowed a canon to continue the workshop for the weekend , On Sunday night while I was sitting at my Computer desk looking at my images

I decided to grab the camera and see if I could get it to fire a shot once again. and yup it was working once again.

09-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to your menu , Custom , uncheck the Murphy s Law option. Glad you were able to at least get the shoot in. No idea but I am going to head out now for the first time with 1.05 update.
09-21-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Didn't you read the part about the new fingerprint unlock feature in Ver. 1.05s?

Oh wait.

09-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had a similar experience recently while visiting a local game reserve.

My K-5II would power up momentarily and then shut down when I tried to wake it up to take a shot. I swopped the battery, but the problem persisted. Now I was panicking, as it was the only camera I had with me.

Then I noticed that the cover for the sd card was not closed properly, so I closed it and all was well again!

09-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Go to your menu , Custom , uncheck the Murphy s Law option.Glad you were able to at least get the shoot in. No idea but I am going to head out now for the first time with 1.05 update.

I think "Murphy" is telling me to change outfits to canon oh boy , what a Horrible piece of equipment ( slight Tongue in Cheek ) , may be I'm biased towards my Beloved pentax's ergonomics and Button layout.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Didn't you read the part about the new fingerprint unlock feature in Ver. 1.05s?

Oh wait.

That would be a neat Feature to have , Fingerprint recognition to unlock your Camera.
09-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote

My K-5II would power up momentarily and then shut down when I tried to wake it up to take a shot. I swopped the battery, but the problem persisted. Now I was panicking, as it was the only camera I had with me.

Then I noticed that the cover for the sd card was not closed properly, so I closed it and all was well again!

Hi Neville , we even updated the firmware again as someone suggested it might have been Just that , and made sure there was nothing silly we had done wrong that caused the behaviour i.e like leaving the SD card cover... etc
09-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote

I had a similar egg-on-face moment a couple of days ago, with the "company" D80 that I have to use at work. Grabbed the camera to shoot something (boss breathing down my neck about it...), turned it on, got it to focus, then nada, zip, zilch. Little beeps, no shutter. <bad language>. Turned it on and off a few times, no joy. Starting to sweat... then I (finally) looked at the LCD and saw the "E" code. No card in the camera! I had removed it to dump some previous images and never took it out of the reader... fortunately nobody but me knew what the "problem" was that I "fixed"...