Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #1

X5 Help Please

I'm in Manual mode and trying to set the Aperture but it only gives me like 2 stops. When I tested this in the store I could scroll through the stops but this just jumps from one to another. Stops are different according to zoom. I'm in a photography class and never knew about shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. And the camera I had didn't have a Manual setting so I got this and I love it! Just need to know what I'm doing wrong. I noticed near the Aperture there's a yellow symbol with a - in it but the manual has no information on what that symbol means. Thanks for any help!

09-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The X-5 doesn't have an aperture - only a movable ND filter (2,5 stops I think). Although I can't explain what you did in the shop, the behaviour of your camera is completely normal (and when you zoom towards the telephoto end, the aperture increases of course.
09-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

The yellow triangle with a minus (-) symbol is your light meter, essentially telling you that your settings are underexposed, compared to what the camera meter thinks would yield the correct overall exposure. So you could try a wider "aperture", a slower shutter speed, or higher ISO setting. Or aim at something brighter. Similarly, if you are overexposing, then you will see a triangle with a plus (+) symbol instead.