Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 Taking photos in AV

I love shooting AV mode, but with the K5 and not with any of my other Pentax cams, the process time from shot to shot is so slow, I actually have
to wait 15 or 30 seconds before I can shoot again. The little timer shows up and I wait and wait and wait. I took the K5 out this afternoon and set all my processing like Noise Reduction to off and the problem still persists. I even set up AV in my USER Mode, and the problem is the same.

Also in Full Auto Mode, the count on the SD card is 1056 photos available to take, but on AV mode the available count is only 352.
I am not shooting RAW, in the Menu I have the cam set at JPEG.

Just a bit frustrating because I like shooting Low ISO in some circumstances and Full Auto will not allow me to change the ISO per use.

Thanks for any help you can give me...

M

09-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you also have slow shutter speed noise reduction disabled? It's a separate setting from standard noise reduction (which doesn't add any noticeable processing overhead).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-26-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

What about Lens correction option, is it ON? If it is ON, turn it off...
09-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Is HDR mode on? That causes long processing times.

Are you shooting in deep darkness, forcing Av mode to use a very slow shutter speed?

A faulty memory card could cause slow write times, but faulty memory should slow things down in all shooting modes. Play around with the settings, see what others suggest, and if all else fails do a full menu reset to factory defaults.

09-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter

That kind of times are usually because you have some of the options turned on:
Highlight Correction
Shadow Correction
Distortion Correction
Lat Chromatic-Ab

Turn those off and use only when needed.
09-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
processing time? what processing time?
check those options.
09-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
After reading the advice in this thread, I took out the cam this morning and turned off everything, even instant review. With the Cam
set in AV, or TV , or TAV, it takes 30 seconds between shots while the cam is writing the photo. Also in AV, there are only 392 photos available to shoot on the card while during Full Auto 1056 photos are available to take. I formatted my San Disk 16 G card and the only thing else I can think of is a Hard Reset to Factory Settings ...I am packing up to do a shoot this afternoon and will let you all know if the Factory Reset makes any difference.

Thank you so much

M
09-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are shooting RAW+ (raw + jpeg) since when you put the camera in auto you are showing so many more pics available to be stored.

Slow SD card plus shooting RAW+ could very well come close to a 30 second write time. First is to make sure the above recommendation of turning off all the corrections etc. is done. Then try shooting raw or jpeg to see if that makes a difference. Lastly try a faster card.

09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all so much for your input....It did seem to me that for some reason my cam is acting like
in AV that it is shooting RAW. I did a factory reset, and will slowly add new User Settings and
go slow in spicing the K5 up... Everything works after the reset and I have my fingers crossed...

Again, thank you

M