Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

F-error using Teleconvertor

I've just got a Komura Telemore95 II and I get a flashing F when fitted

09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have "use aperture ring" turned on in the menu?
09-27-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A quick Google image search shows that most, if not all of them, lack the A contacts necessary for passing through aperture information. I'm assuming yours does not have these contacts.

To use it you'll have to enable aperture ring use in the custom settings menu of the camera and use a lens with an actual aperture ring. You'll set the aperture on the lens and then press the green button to get a shutter speed.
09-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do you have "use aperture ring" turned on in the menu?
I do now thanks and the F still flashes but the shutter now works

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
A quick Google image search shows that most, if not all of them, lack the A contacts necessary for passing through aperture information. I'm assuming yours does not have these contacts.

To use it you'll have to enable aperture ring use in the custom settings menu of the camera and use a lens with an actual aperture ring. You'll set the aperture on the lens and then press the green button to get a shutter speed.
I have a K30 btw, the two lenses I have are the 35mm and 70mm Limited.

09-27-2013, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ole
Administrator

As Elliott hinted at: Your converter isn't compatible with your lenses unless the converter has lens information contacts.
09-27-2013, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barrington Quote
I do now thanks and the F still flashes but the shutter now works
Not sure why the F is still flashing...

But as noted above your lenses are DA series lenses and do not have an aperture ring. So they are not compatible, they might technically work but only wide open as you have no way to stop down the lens.

Normally when using a manual converter, or extension tube, you would put the camera in manual, and use a manual lens with an aperture ring. You set the desired aperture on the lens aperture ring, use the green button for stop down metering and then take a picture. With a DA lens, you have no aperture ring and thus no way to change the aperture from wide open.
09-27-2013, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But as noted above your lenses are DA series lenses and do not have an aperture ring. So they are not compatible, they might technically work but only wide open as you have no way to stop down the lens.
It will stop down, but it will always be at the smallest aperture.
09-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies, seems I got something that isn't much use to me, on the plus side it was a very cheap ebay purchase.

09-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Is the mount black or bare metal? You need to short out pin 7 (data pin) on the K-mount in order for the dreaded flashing F--- to go away. Test this by putting a bit of metal foil over the pins as you mount the teleconverter. If this works you need to scrape away some of the coating on the mount. However you will not be able to control the aperture with the eDial and need to set it with the ring (if any) on the lens.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-27-2013 at 02:00 PM.
09-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
It will stop down, but it will always be at the smallest aperture.
The Komura Tellmore converters are, as far as I know manual converters with a mechanical aperture coupling only. That is: NO electrical contacts.

When any such converter is used on a DA lens (i.e.: without aperture ring and thus, by default in the "A" mode) the lens will always be fully stoped down if the camera setting is B(ulb) or M(anual). If the camera setting is Av (Aperture priority) the lens will always be fully open.

It makes little sense to use other modes and yes, like with manual K- or M-lenses you will always see the F--- symbol (as your manual will also tell you).

Last edited by Stone G.; 09-27-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: addendum