Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First SLR Film Camera

Hello,

I need an advice on what SLR camera should be my first film camera (second actually) .

Can you please give me a suggestion and why it should be „the one” ?

I don' t want to spend big bucks on it, as I don' t know the outcome (if I suck more on film photography then I do on digital one) .

Please give me good arguments as to why or no.

If it works out, I' m aiming the MZ- S (dreaming of the day I can really use it) .

All the best!

09-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Best thing to do is pour over the camera database here and look for the one with the what works for you best. Personally I would go with the k1000. I like the totally manual function of this model, and they seem to be everywhere! The down side is that it limits you on lens selection somewhat. My other film camera is the ZX-5. It's well stocked with functions, and seems go cheap! I bought mine for $40. U.S.
Joel
P.S. I looked at your Photos, I think you will do just fine!!! Nice work!!
09-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It also depends on what lenses you have now that you might use on it or if you want MF or AF. The MZ5 or 5n for example cannot control the aperature of the DA lenses whereas the MZ7 can. I have both and while i like the 5 better, perhaps because I have had it for a lot longer, I find that the 7 is more practical when I take it out with the digital Pentax. If you are looking for a manual focus camera then the K series are great and tough but the K1000 sometimes sells for more than the others which were higher end models just because more people know about them. The MX is a great one as well. My first AF camera was a SF1n and compared to the MZ series they are big and slow.

I bought my MZ7 last winter for $50 with two lenses. Some times the best camera to buy is the first one that you find locally for a fair price that is in good condition, I was not looking for the MZ7 but it was offered so I grabbed it.
09-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeah, the K1000 is a classic and often found at camera swaps. And you can pair it with a couple of great old Takumar lenses.

09-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gbeaton Quote
Yeah, the K1000 is a classic and often found at camera swaps
The K1000 is a great camera, though I prefer my ME Super for it's compact size in comparison. Both can be found for relatively cheap in working order. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever body you choose, so long as it has the functions you need.

Another note why I like my ME Super, it has full manual controls which I prefer, but if I hand it over to my wife for a few shots, I just switch it to Auto so the camera can select the shutter speed for her. Plus the auto comes in handy when I'm in public and want to be a bit more discreet without checking exposure through the viewfinder.
09-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As a former Super Program owner, I would suggest this camera for one reason- you should be able to mount Pentax lenses that do not have an aperture ring and use them in program or shutter priority mode. That said, there will still be a problem with a number of DA lenses as the lens will not completely fill the the film plane. But so long as you can tolerate the vignetting the lens will still work.

If you have access to whatever lenses you need that do have aperture rings, I concur that the all mechanical K-1000 is a solid choice.
10-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I bought the following package:

Pentax ME 35mm SLR Film Camera with 50mm Lens in very good working condition & good cosmetic appearance. I am including the following in the bundle: 1.) Super Albinar Macro lens ( f= 80 - 200mm, auto zoom, 1: 4.5) , which has some small scratches in the black outer case, but the lens works well. 2.) Albinar 2X tele converter 3.) Owen auto telemax 2X conversion lens 4.) coated close-up lens 1X, 2X & 3X 5.) trigger shutter release cable attachment 6.) original manual for Pentax ME

I think I' m also going to buy a Pentax KX, in the near future- just because it has such good rating.

Now let' s see how much I suck on film...

All the best!
10-01-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Hello,

I bought the following package:

Pentax ME 35mm SLR Film Camera with 50mm Lens in very good working condition & good cosmetic appearance. I am including the following in the bundle: 1.) Super Albinar Macro lens ( f= 80 - 200mm, auto zoom, 1: 4.5) , which has some small scratches in the black outer case, but the lens works well. 2.) Albinar 2X tele converter 3.) Owen auto telemax 2X conversion lens 4.) coated close-up lens 1X, 2X & 3X 5.) trigger shutter release cable attachment 6.) original manual for Pentax ME

I think I' m also going to buy a Pentax KX, in the near future- just because it has such good rating.

Now let' s see how much I suck on film...

All the best!
Score!!! You're making me want to get out the K1000 run a few rolls thru her! Happy hunting!!

10-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #9

I'd go for the MZ-S, as it was the most advanced film SLR Pentax ever made.
10-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
I'd go for the MZ-S, as it was the most advanced film SLR Pentax ever made.
Hello,

Yes, that' s the final plan, but it' s sort of `getting to the root of the thing` , and using an old camera, to see how it is to take photos thus (hopefully) improving my digital shots.
Second, it' s a thing of money- MZ- S is anyway overpriced and for this little `test` is seriously overpriced.
It' s on the `soon to buy list` anyway.

All the best!
10-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I always recommend one of the P30 series SLRs as a great starter camera. With non-A lenses they have essentially the same functionality as the K series, they're well built, reliable, compact, have great viewfinders and because they lack the looks of a classic 70s SLR, they are usually extremely cheap. They also have full auto mode when paired with an A lens. I have two P30s and a P30N and they've been my most-used film SLRs.

I think a P30 is certainly better than an ME. An ME Super would be another matter.
10-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

For your "little test" I would suggest the Super A (Super Program).

It offers all relevant modes: Av, M, and (with A- or newer lenses) Tv and P, and the 1/2000 sec.
Size is the same as the ME Super, but it has additionally DOF preview and TTL flash metering (and Tv + P).

In M mode, you can see the selected exposure time on the top display (with the ME Super, you have to look through the VF).
In modes where the camera chooses the aperture, you can also see it in the viewfinder.

No Pentax camera before the Super A offered all these items combined, and also none of the P series.

Compared with a DSLR, the only thing I am missing is a hyper prog mode.
For this you probably have to look at one of the high end models of the Z/ZX series, or the MZ-S.

Smallest difference in handling and controls to a DSLR would be the Z1/Z1p/ZX1/ZX1p, and also *ist.
But the *ist is more for the "AllAuto" type of photographers (but it is EXTREMELY small).
10-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I always recommend one of the P30 series SLRs as a great starter camera. With non-A lenses they have essentially the same functionality as the K series, they're well built, reliable, compact, have great viewfinders and because they lack the looks of a classic 70s SLR, they are usually extremely cheap. They also have full auto mode when paired with an A lens. I have two P30s and a P30N and they've been my most-used film SLRs.

I think a P30 is certainly better than an ME. An ME Super would be another matter.
Yeah! I still have my P30t - replaced a stolen Spotmatic II - and have done some photo shoots with it. I recently bought colour and B&W film developing kits for it too. It'll take any K-mount lens from the original manual - I use a SMC Pentax 50mm/f1.4 - to FA to DA (auto aperture mode). I think its great even though the shutter has a pretty big slap. Attached are a couple of pics from it - Ilford FP4 scanned at 18MP.

Cheers
Attached Images

10-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

While I wait for the `parts` to arrive for this little test of mine, can any of you recommend some films (producer, name, all that stuff) and why? I' d like personally to shoot in B&W and maybe play with IR shots.

Thank you in anticipation, all the best!
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Long time no posting, but here are some of my first results with this cameras.
I say `some` , as the rest are not scanned.

Camera: Pentax MX
Film: Ilford Delta 100

Many of them are more or less out of focus (the one with the held kid being a `prefocus` gone wrong) .
Post processed in PS.

Thank you for the advices and happy critique!

All the best!

Last edited by urssu; 03-20-2014 at 01:18 PM.