Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

sigma 400mm 5.6 apo manual

I bought a sigma 400mm 5.6 apo mc lens of ebay a few days ago, the lens looks very clean with no dust or anythink but when I put it on the camera it looks yellow looking through it and when I take pictures they look ok until I crop them total out of focus lv tried loads of different settings but with the same results can anyone tell me if its a easy fix or the lad of eday said he give me a full refund but I realy want to keep it I only payed £86 uk pounds for it I just hope I can get it sorted thanks in advance

09-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #2

Could the yellow tinge come from some kind of polarizing effet? I usually see this in the viewfinder with some of my lenses (FA100-300 comes to mind) when wearing my (polarized) sun glasses. It has no effect on the picture itself as far as I can tell.
09-29-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I notice you also posted this question in the lens forum and the beginners forum

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/238074-k-5-sigm...-apo-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238034-sigma-4...ml#post2522723

I will ask the same question I asked in these places

How about samples with exif data

There are many editors you can house to display data. kuso is the one I use

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Digital-Photo-Tools/KUSO-Exif-Viewer.shtml

Tel us what the camera settings are? Shutter speed, aperture ISO etc.... And please look at the option under advanced editing for attaching a photo

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 09-29-2013 at 04:54 AM.
09-29-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I notice you also posted this question in the lens forum and the beginners forum

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/238074-k-5-sigm...-apo-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238034-sigma-4...ml#post2522723

I will ask the same question I asked in these places

How about samples with exif data

There are many editors you can house to display data. kuso is the one I use

KUSO Exif Viewer Free Download - Open EXIF

Tel us what the camera settings are? Shutter speed, aperture ISO etc.... And please look at the option under advanced editing for attaching a photo
I dont use a computer just my phone so I wouldn't have a clue how to put exif up I think I should join a camera club to learn how 2

09-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your phone is likely not the best way to view images to make any judgement on the photos
09-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Your phone is likely not the best way to view images to make any judgement on the photos
I think I just send it back now I been out for a few hrs 2day not 1 picture in focus all my other lens are spot on in focusI must be a serious problem with the lens think I save for a sigma 150 - 500 lens
09-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this the longest lens you use?

Is shake reduction on?

Are you sure it is not blurr as opposed to focus?

09-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is this the longest lens you use?

Is shake reduction on?

Are you sure it is not blurr as opposed to focus?
Yes its my longest lens and SR is on just when I try 2 focus on anything it will not, its always out of focus with it been a manual lens it should be easy 2 focus on static object but I can't
09-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by safc Quote
Yes its my longest lens and SR is on just when I try 2 focus on anything it will not, its always out of focus with it been a manual lens it should be easy 2 focus on static object but I can't
Is the eyepiece diopter set for your eyesight
09-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is the eyepiece diopter set for your eyesight
Its seems ok with my other lens do u have to ajust it for longer lens?
10-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by safc Quote
Its seems ok with my other lens do u have to ajust it for longer lens?
No it should be good for all, next question is do you focus to get the green hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder lit. That is focus indication not the red dot, the dot just tells you where the focus sensor is
10-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Iv tried about everything I can, but will not focus on anything what so ever and with it got a yellow look aswell I can only think its got a series problem am going 2 send it back and save for a new lens thanks alot for all your advice I do appreciate everything u told me.
10-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

remove the yellow sticker!

f/5.6 is hard for a K5 to autofocus, adding that it is a third party lens, you probably have to go manual.
Next step is to make sure that your camera is aligned for maual focus. Use live view to compare viewfinder and screen sharpness.

Also, 400mm focal lengt with 1.5 crop factor is a VERY LONG focal length. A basic tripod will not support this lens combo - especially not at close inspection. First time users will often produce too much camera shake.

Blame the lens or blame the CAMERA.
10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
remove the yellow sticker!

f/5.6 is hard for a K5 to autofocus, adding that it is a third party lens, you probably have to go manual.
Next step is to make sure that your camera is aligned for maual focus. Use live view to compare viewfinder and screen sharpness.

Also, 400mm focal lengt with 1.5 crop factor is a VERY LONG focal length. A basic tripod will not support this lens combo - especially not at close inspection. First time users will often produce too much camera shake.

Blame the lens or blame the CAMERA.
Iv just sent the lens back now,the lens I had was manual only but would not manual focus on anything at all, no yellow stickers on the class just a really bad lens with big problems I think am going to save for a new lens now