Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2013, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Garage sale gold!

I was walking my dog the other day, and passed by a garage/yard sale. I noticed a familiar black, cylindrical shape sitting on a table next to some steel toe boots. I stepped up for a closer look. On the table sat a Super Takumar 105mm f2.8 with a $12 price tag!! I quickly snatched it up, and went to pay for it. I only had $10 and the lady graciously accepted my offer. I ran home giggling as if I had just found Willy Wonka's golden ticket. I have heard stories about things like this happening to other people....but it was always other people. I am going to love this lens by the way! Any one out there have any similar stories to share?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
09-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sweet find! Usually if I even see a Pentax at a garage sale it's got an M50 f/2 attached, or some Sears lens.
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I've bought stuff worth hundreds for a few bucks out of the bargain bin even at the camera store -- deals all over if you look for them.
09-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gotta love cheap. I don't have a lens I have paid over $50 for! I bought a zx-5, smc-F 100-300, smc-F35-80 as package for $40 U.S. My daughter grabbed the 100-300 and the camera, that mooch!! I borrowed a M-135 f3.5 from my sister 26 years ago. I think she forgot and I'm not bringing it up!! The 35-80 doesn't get much respect, but it has become my everyday lens and with a rubber lens hood it looks like nothing else out there

09-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Knock,

That's a real dog of a lens, worst one ever produced by Pentax. No HD coatings and a totally unusable focal length. You overpaid. I'll cover your loss if you send it to me. I can use it for parts.

Just kidding - what a great find! Always pleased to hear of these treasures being picked up by those who will continue to enjoy them! Glad you recognized the lens and picked it up.

I've had similar encounters. Pentax-F 50/1.7 for $25; K 28/3.5 for $20. Almost was crying with glee when I walked out of a thrift shop with a basket containing an immaculate Spotmatic, SMC Tak 85/1.8, SMC Tak 35/3.5 and Tak 55/1.8 for, shall we say, a decent price. And, I'm always telling my wife that one of these days, just wait honey, I'll stop at a yard sale and there it will be: an A* or F* or FA* long lens that they're desparately trying to unload for $20. Dreaming?

On the other hand, I'm still kicking myself for not listening to my inner devil voice several years ago - I decided against driving 3 hours to a town to pick up several gems for $125, including a K28/2.

- Craig
09-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My biggest steal was probably the 50mm f/1.4 I picked up for $12 off eBay. Seller had accidentally added a zero to the shipping cost and so nobody was bidding on what at first glance was an old ME with a winder and a couple crappy lenses. The 50mm was hiding in the depths of the auction's description. Only flaw is a dinged filter ring which I can live with.
09-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Sweet find! Usually if I even see a Pentax at a garage sale it's got an M50 f/2 attached, or some Sears lens.
Don't knock those Sears lenses - most are Chinon, Ricoh or Tokina made and are well worth the usually stupid cheap prices they go for.
09-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story, I've gotten several used Tamron adaptalls at my local store in their used lens bin each for about $10. To my surprise, I've found them to be actually worth about $10 each...

09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Great story, I've gotten several used Tamron adaptalls at my local store in their used lens bin each for about $10. To my surprise, I've found them to be actually worth about $10 each...
I got a PKA adaptall mount (that worked) out of the junk bin for $10. I got a Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro worth over $200 out of the junk bin for $7. (It did need a little cleaning of one element, but otherwise perfect.) I got a vintage Zeiss monocular for $10 at the antique mall marked "toy scope" -- worth $150 or so. Just keep your eyes open.
09-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Wow! Pentax is glass is not that common in NZ and I have yet to find anything at a garage sale but I'm always on the look out.
My best deal was a S.M.C Tak 55 f1.8 (with Spotmatic) - which initially cost me US$40 but it was very badly packed and filter was broken (but everything else was fine - solid old Pentax!). I just let the seller know (so they could avoid it happening in the future) and they refunded the total cost (I actually tried to stop them doing this)! Its a great lens for free.
09-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Site Supporter

One person's gold is another person's soft metal. Congrats, however.
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Great story! I sometimes wonder about the garage sales I pass up, but the agony of having to go to them would outweigh the savings I'd likely realize. Antique shops are another story, since they often tend to have other cool stuff even if the photographic pickins are slim.
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
I was walking my dog the other day, and passed by a garage/yard sale. I noticed a familiar black, cylindrical shape sitting on a table next to some steel toe boots. I stepped up for a closer look. On the table sat a Super Takumar 105mm f2.8 with a $12 price tag!! I quickly snatched it up, and went to pay for it. I only had $10 and the lady graciously accepted my offer. I ran home giggling as if I had just found Willy Wonka's golden ticket. I have heard stories about things like this happening to other people....but it was always other people. I am going to love this lens by the way! Any one out there have any similar stories to share?
Love those greens, congrats.
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Don't knock those Sears lenses - most are Chinon, Ricoh or Tokina made and are well worth the usually stupid cheap prices they go for.
Sears kr 60-300 baby!! You can beat a mugger with it and then take his photo for the cops!!!
09-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joel B Quote
Sears kr 60-300 baby!! You can beat a mugger with it and then take his photo for the cops!!!
I want to get one of those to add to my collection at some point. I have the 75-260mm and that things heavy enough as it is!