Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell and change the body...

Well I saw K-3 that looks like several improvement for AF and quality of pics. I'm waiting for FF for college and work. Crop body for work seem to be less quality for work to me... (16-50 doesn't performance great quality except K-5iis)

Idk exactly about photography class cause they used Medium format camera and FF.

Here are my choices

1. buy K-3 next year (Sep 2014)

2. buy FF.

What do you think?

10-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well I saw K-3 that looks like several improvement for AF and quality of pics. I'm waiting for FF for college and work. Crop body for work seem to be less quality for work to me... (16-50 doesn't performance great quality except K-5iis)

Idk exactly about photography class cause they used Medium format camera and FF.

Here are my choices

2. buy FF.

What do you think?
Since the K-3 won't be FF, it sounds like Pentax won't be joining that camp in the upcoming future. But it all depends on your needs.

An APS-C camera can do just about everything that a FF can. The biggest difference is image quality. If you like making large prints, enjoy cropping, or if you want the best possible high-ISO performance, then you should look at FF. But APS-C these days is good enough for most and also more compact.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I'm waiting for FF for college and work.
You should find out what the class instructor prefers and get that. If they like FF Canon or Nikon, well that's what you get. Waiting for FF Pentax is not a viable alternative unless you can wait years. And 16-50 won't work on FF anyway.

If you need FF for work then get D800 and move on. If you are generating income from photography then this is not a hobby, get the tools you need to do the job.

Personally, I am baffled by claims that you need a FF for work. I know many photographers with APS-C cameras that do quite well. But that's your choice, get what you need to do the job.
10-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy both!

10-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

There are classes that require the use of a FF DLSR? I find this hard to believe, let alone a medium format digital camera.

It would make sense if they were using film.
10-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also find it hard to believe. I can imagine a class requiring you have an all manual film SLR like the K1000.
I have a friend who is a pro and he only uses an old canon APS with a max sensitivity of 1600 and a 50mm 1.4. He shoots rock concerts and gets paid, he says FF is unnecessary for what he does, so I can't imagine a student would need to waste their money either.
10-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Here are my choices

2. buy FF.

What do you think?
if you have a class that requires a specific type of camera, as demanded by the instructor, it is a sure sign of a poor instructor.

A beginner needs to know theory, not just ape the instructors camera settings.
10-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Like jatrax said... I bought my first Pentax because my school used them. So I could sign out lenses and stuff. If your school doesn't sign out equipment, then a Pentax will do. Although he's a bit eccentric, and he just changed systems to a D800, Benjikan shot Pentax for years and did magazine covers for fashion magazines with a K20D then a K-5. He also shot magazine covers with a K20D and a 16-50. But the man clearly has talents I don't have. But I would never even dream I could approach his talent level, just by buying an FF camera.

So, the thing is, if you have talent, you can shoot with APS-c, if you don't have talent an FF isn't going to save you. Buy what you need. Oh and as I always say... D800 or nothing going FF. Your average FF camera is just barely better than your average APS-c in terms of IQ that is actually visible, and a D7100 (and hopefully the K-3) have better resolution and IQ than some of the older FF cameras.

As my old commercial studio instructor used to say, find the lens you like and buy the camera that goes with it.

Right now my dream lens is the 31 td. Someone did a comparison shot with a 28 a while ago, and I couldn't believe how smooth the bokeh (out of focus areas) are. And if you're talking pro.. you're needing smooth bokeh. It's what will set you apart.

Last edited by normhead; 10-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.