Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Problem with Pentax k-x and pentax-a 1.7/50mm

Hello,

I know that there are a lot of topics like that but i haven't find an answer to my question..

I am owner of Pentax k-x with kit + pentax 55-300 lenses for about 3 Years and till lately i was more like a Point and shoot type of photographer :P

I wanted some change and i bought the legendary Pentax-a 1.7/50mm and i think there is something wrong with it..
What i did:
1. I set the "Allow aperture setting other than A" to 2 (allowed) in the custom function menu
2. set camera to Av
3. set lens to A mode
4. conect the lens to body -> lens gets to 1.7
5. turn on camera - set 50mm
6. i don't get any information on what aperture am I using... I always see "F ----"...
Using the wheel on the body doesn't change anything.. not when set to A not when set to anything else.. I can see that lens is still on 1.7
when body i set to M or Av using the aperture ring on lens also doesn;t change anything.. I can see that lens is still on 1.7
using aperture ring on lens that is not conected to body, works fine

I wnet through photos of other pentax-a 1.7/50mm lens in internet and i see that in the place where on my picture is whole, they have a metal ball (at around 8 o clock on the picture)

Should i send tehm back to the seller as a broken stuff? or is it normal? should i get the actuall F on body when lens is conected? shouldn't the wheel on body work and set apperture?

help please..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
10-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The A contact is missing, there should be a brass contact in that hole.
10-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The lens is defective, the contact is indeed missing. Without the contact (and whatever circuitry might be missing beneath it), you effectively have an M lens, rather than the A lens you paid for.
10-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

This is not a K-A 50mm f/1.7 lens. If it was, there would be a series of contacts on the mounting flange to match up with those on your camera body. I'm willing to bet the aperture ring does not have an 'A' position just above F/22. This is either a K or M series lens.

The contact points on the lens flange of an A-series lens tells the camera the aperture min/max - and there is one contact (the 'A' contact) that extends ONLY when the aperture ring is in the 'A' position.

Your K-x has no means of detecting the aperture setting on the lens (thus the F - - - you are seeing). The K-x depends on the aperture being in the 'A' position which allows the aperture selection to be controlled by the camera body rather than than by the lens.

10-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
This is not a K-A 50mm f/1.7 lens. If it was, there would be a series of contacts on the mounting flange to match up with those on your camera body. I'm willing to bet the aperture ring does not have an 'A' position just above F/22. This is either a K or M series lens.
It is an A lens, the A 50mm f1.7 just has the A contact (which is missing, but you can see the hole where it belongs) and one insulator (which is visible).

You could wedge a small ball of aluminum foil in the hole, just enough to touch the contact of the body and it will work as expected.
10-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank You all for quick answers

The good news is that it is not my fault that it doesn't work the bad news is that i could have bought the M lens for half the price..

@elliott
I have seen the trick You are talking about, but i prefer to get what i paid for

I am gone contact the seller and ask either for full refund and send back the lens, or 50% refund for selling the broken stuff..

Thanks all. Topic can be closed as resolved
10-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gelokrol Quote
but i prefer to get what i paid for
Exactly.

Steve

FWIW...the M 50/1.7 also has a much better build. I own both lenses.