Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #16

Original Poster
it just seems easier to put the lens aside and purchase another one that I hope to not have problems with. Thanks everyone for your help in the matter. It is greatly appreciated!!!

10-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I do not have a clue as to why you are having problems mounting the lens.
It is probably the Ricoh pin. I currently have and have in the past had other lenses with the ball style pin that mount rough. This is not true on every body, so it might be a matter of tolerances and/or the positioning of the screw holes on the mount that the pin must pass over and clear.

Steve
10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Sigma Mini-wide not mounting in the K20D

This may be your problem. What I notice, the flange guard is to big. As a result is stop in the middle. Since Pentax DSLRs support the SDM contacts, the large flange guard interferes with it. If you mount it in a Film camera such as K1000 or ME it will fit without a problem.

Compare the flange from other lens and check. You may have to remove the flange and shave the extra part.

Let us know if that was the problem.
10-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
What I notice, the flange guard is to big.
Good catch. The Sigma Mini-wide 28mm is pretty common on this forum and I don't remember any complaints about the flange, but that lens was made in several variants and there may well be an issue with the lens in question on the K20D.

Steve

10-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Pedro any updates? Is it really K mount or not? Was the size of the lever the problem?
10-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Pedro any updates? Is it really K mount or not? Was the size of the lever the problem?
It is definitely a Ricoh/Pentax-A combo K-mount.

Steve
10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #22

Original Poster
I shaved down the flange, even got a file and filed down some of the edges in hopes that maybe a small piece of metal might be getting stuck along the edges....and it still doesn't fit.

10-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pedro730 Quote
I shaved down the flange, even got a file and filed down some of the edges in hopes that maybe a small piece of metal might be getting stuck along the edges....and it still doesn't fit.
Can you post a better pic or two and more precise info - pic of the lens at the point its stuck. If its the ricoh pin, that hooks into the AF hole when the white orientation cue button is pretty much at the quarter-to position as you look at the lens on the camera from the front.
10-29-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try this: Before you try to mount the lens, slide the MF/AF switch on your K20D to MF. This will retract the AF drive mechanism into the mount flange. Now try to mount your lens. Is it any better?

-Joe-
10-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #25

Original Poster
K0og, its been on MF the entire time and unfortunately it didn't work either. I tried all three settings: MF, APS-C and AF. The lens is on the A position on the aperature ring as well.

Im including the picture that someone suggested about the lens with the shaved down flange. Also including a picture of my current setup...a K20D with a SMC PENTAX-A 50 mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
C525c  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
C525c  Photo 
10-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pedro,

That's strange!

Try this: Take a series of pictures of the Pentax-A 50mm along side the Sigma so we can see the two mounts side-by-side (make sure the aperture levers are in the same positions). The back end of your Sigma looks a little strange to me, but maybe it is just the perspective.

-Joe-
11-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

aperture lever bent??

I have had another thought: I had a similar issue a year ago, actually with a tamron adapter. The cause was a slightly bent aperture lever. Have a close look at the lens, comparing to the lens that does mount, and see if this might be the case.
02-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #28

I was wondering if anybody has arrived at any conclusions about this... I have recently bought the above lens to use with my two Pentax - K-5 and film SLR - as well as with my CSC (I have an adaptor for this). The lens fitted my adaptor and my Pentax SLR fine, but it doesn't want to talk to my K-5 mount. Comparing to other k-mount lenses I have the aperture lever seems a bit different, however it is not stuck or seems broke or loose. I have checked the pictures here and it even looks different from the examples of PK and CY mounts so I am a very puzzled. Had it not fitted my other Pentax I would probably see what was wrong with it. Any ideas please?
Thank you.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
02-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The flange is not located correctly remove it and all will be fine.

You will note the flange is actually rotated about 20 degrees from the aperture lever this was common. It hits the two power pins of the KAF2/3 mount. It will mount unmodified on any camera prior to the K100Super in digital, or on any film body except the PZ series.

To use on a PZ camera or a digital body K100super or later with HSM support the flange must be removed.

Sigma, and also vivitar lenses have this issue frequently.