Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
flash/LiveView problem? mirror down? settings change...

okay... I have read the manual... but I don know what the problem is! after the first time i used the in-camera flash... it has been impossible for me to take a picture with the liveview on. first it changed the settings (sets ISO to 100 and changes shutter speed and everything... and the EV compensation scale starts blinking red in the underexposure side...) when I turned on the live view... so if I take a picture in indirect sunlight at ISO 400 and shutterspeed 1/20 it will still be almost a black picture... but there is some detail so the mirror is down. but then after that usually if i turn the LV on it flips the mirror... because i have tried 30sec exposure time and perfectly black screen... so the mirror can not be up...but without LV i can take pictures just fine, no problem. if i raise the flash i can take a picture with LV. usually... LV or no i always see the flash sign on the LCD. if i press the flash button (down button in the 4 way dial) it only shows options flash on, curtain sync, wireless... there is no "flash off". EXIF shows something like "forced flash mode, flash did not fire" is this normal or is there something wrong with my k-5? it doesn't bother me much... i can focus manually, use LV to check focus, then turn LV off before taking a picture... works fine... but is this normal? maybe this is something simple i don't understand... please help me? video works normally with liveview...

10-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cream Quote
okay... I have read the manual... but I don know what the problem is! after the first time i used the in-camera flash... it has been impossible for me to take a picture with the liveview on. first it changed the settings (sets ISO to 100 and changes shutter speed and everything... and the EV compensation scale starts blinking red in the underexposure side...) when I turned on the live view... so if I take a picture in indirect sunlight at ISO 400 and shutterspeed 1/20 it will still be almost a black picture... but there is some detail so the mirror is down. but then after that usually if i turn the LV on it flips the mirror... because i have tried 30sec exposure time and perfectly black screen... so the mirror can not be up...but without LV i can take pictures just fine, no problem. if i raise the flash i can take a picture with LV. usually... LV or no i always see the flash sign on the LCD. if i press the flash button (down button in the 4 way dial) it only shows options flash on, curtain sync, wireless... there is no "flash off". EXIF shows something like "forced flash mode, flash did not fire" is this normal or is there something wrong with my k-5? it doesn't bother me much... i can focus manually, use LV to check focus, then turn LV off before taking a picture... works fine... but is this normal? maybe this is something simple i don't understand... please help me? video works normally with liveview...
Let me try to simplify the issue.

If you go to Manual mode, use LV, set shutter to 1/20, aperture to around 5.6 and iso 400 in midday, no flash and take a picture, it's a black picture?

If you use same settings but no LV, picture is fine?
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Let me try to simplify the issue.

If you go to Manual mode, use LV, set shutter to 1/20, aperture to around 5.6 and iso 400 in midday, no flash and take a picture, it's a black picture?

If you use same settings but no LV, picture is fine?
actually, this has happened to me too sometimes (not with those exact numbers but the issue is the same, black picture when using LV). sometimes taking a picture while LV is on gives the exact same result as the next picture if I turn the LV off in between (this is how it's supposed to be.) If I take a couple of more pictures with LV on, they're suddenly black again. If I turn the LV off I can hear the mirror flip. No idea... does this happen to anyone else? Maybe it's a bug?