Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Say Hello to the innards of my K10D

Hello People!

Recently i picked up a cheap K10D, to serve me as a secondary camera (weather sealing should prove handy in the coming winter months).
The main reason why it was cheap is the missing anti-shake button.
Now, i hoped that the anti-shake could be turned on by working the remnants of the button by small pliers, but alas, didnt work.

So i dived in for a more serious operation

Here is the little fellow with its back off. The missing button (or rather the switch it used to operate is behind the sharpish corner of the metal plate, next to the ribbon cable at the lower left corner.

Here the main operation is already done, the yellowish piece of tape holds the anti-shake switch permanently in the closed position (sorry for the crappy mobile phone image, the light was disappearing fast).

Check the symbols in the viewfinder.. YESSSSS! The anti-shake is working!
But.. for some reason now the LCD is out, only the backlight is working.
The culprit must be the ribbon cable (red arrow in the next image) that (i'm pretty sure) provides the LCD with data.

Open it up again

The green arrow shows the taped up anti-shake switch, the red arrow the LCD data ribbon.
Disconnected it a few times and tried again, still dark!
Dammit, at the moment i cant be bothered to continue

10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What about the ribbon cable to the right of the green arrow in the last picture? Doesn't that connect the whole back to the main board?
10-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
It does. And its connected. Camera reacts to the buttons too, like the auto focus button on the back.
10-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
Is it possible to fit Samsung GX10 back to K10D body?
As far as i know the only difference is the square buttons.

10-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Viplala Quote
But.. for some reason now the LCD is out, only the backlight is working.
You might want to try hooking up the camera to a TV monitor (service manual page 39), just to be sure the camera is fully operational and is sending info to the LCD screen.
10-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Today i took a look at it again and now i saw what's wrong. The main connector ribbon has a tear in it, right where it disappears behind the metal plate. At least 3 wires inside are severed.
So i am on the market for a new back.

Last edited by Viplala; 10-08-2013 at 11:59 PM.