Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #1

Photo magazines for newbie?

Hi eveyone, I've been sifting through some of the more popular (i.e., ad filled) photo magazines and am looking for recommendations for magazines that are a bit more on the aesthetic/artistic side of things. I have books aplenty for the technical aspects, with plenty of eye catching, jaw dropping photos. I have in mind something like Aperture, but hopefully not as pricey, if possible.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

10-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A lot of the trade mags are mostly ads. Which isn't always bad as sometimes you need to see what is for sale too

A few that I find have worthwhile info:
Outdoor Photographer
Digital SLR Photography
Digital Photo Pro
ct Digital Photography -- This one is my favorite, not cheap but when they do an article they do an article not a couple pages of mush that doesn't really tell you anything. Not a lot of articles per issue but very in depth.

I have moved all magazines to digital using Zinio, if you don't mind reading them on screen it is a lot cheaper.
10-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Popular Photography
10-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Digital Photography

Hi Brooklyn, Welcome to the Forum!
I like Digital Photography best, for the reasons jatrax mentioned. It costs more, but is well worth any two of the others. Less 'puff' pieces, less ads and the most useable info per issue.
But occasionally I'll buy Popular Photography, Outdoor Photography or ShutterBug, just to catch up on the latest ads. There's also a Black and White photo mag, but it's hard to find and expensive.
If you're near a public library, check 'em out for free!
Ron

10-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Life is kinda nice for not being saturated with ads.

You can also head into magazines aimed at other kinds of artists. Though I don't paint, I usually flip through International Artist Magazine at my library (I'll second the library as a great place).
10-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might also want to check out some european mags, although in North America they can be pricy. I like some of the french magazines, but of course you end to know a second language some times. The UK mags are also pretty good and some times european editors and reviewers have a different take on things, which can be interesting also
10-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!

10-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Popular Photography.
10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooklyn Quote
Hi eveyone, I've been sifting through some of the more popular (i.e., ad filled) photo magazines and am looking for recommendations for magazines that are a bit more on the aesthetic/artistic side of things. I have books aplenty for the technical aspects, with plenty of eye catching, jaw dropping photos. I have in mind something like Aperture, but hopefully not as pricey, if possible.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Most of the popular photo magazine are more about equipment rather than making photographs. The artsy ones are pricey, but unlike gear mags that get tossed within 6 months, I hang onto them for years. B&W and Lenswork are excellent. Also the website ASX (American Suburb X) should crack yer head open some. Some gems, some dross.

M
10-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The only mag I read regularly is Shutterbug. There are others I will buy off a news stand if a particular article catches my eye.
10-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I enjoy an occasional periodical to supplement my interest in various things, cars, guitars, jazz, etc...
That said, I have over the years subscribed to several Photography magazines and have never been happy with any of them. If you are a serious shopper looking for adverts and reviews of [mostly Nikon and Canon] gear, these mags may be useful. For that purpose, however, i'd argue that you'll find more current info via web research. If you want a magazine that can provide you with a few shallow tips on "getting sharper photos", "mastering white balance", "choosing a tripod", etc, this is pretty standard fare. I find the same topics seem to cycle through , so a one year subscription may be all you need before you know everything you will ever learn for your effort.
I lately have gravitated to "outdoor photographer" which was super inexpensive and seems to have a decent balance of location topics and photographer profiles. When my issue arrives, I usually throw it on the stack of unread issues for the occasional air travel when I bring 3 or 4 of them with me for light reading. Dang, I probably need to cancel the subscription and join a forum.